Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSmap60Csx co-ordinates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSmap60Csx co-ordinates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999ginger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: GPSmap60Csx co-ordinates Reply with quote

Hi
Can anybody explain why when the 60CSx is set for Position Format of Brtish Grid and Map Datum of Ord Srvy GB the location is given only as 5 digits after the map tile characters ie NS82583. I thought I'd get at least 6 digit if not 8 digit reference

Thanks
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSmap60Csx co-ordinates Reply with quote

999ginger wrote:
Hi
Can anybody explain why when the 60CSx is set for Position Format of Brtish Grid and Map Datum of Ord Srvy GB the location is given only as 5 digits after the map tile characters ie NS82583. I thought I'd get at least 6 digit if not 8 digit reference

Thanks

Are you not sure you aren't seeing the first half of a 10 digit reference?
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought the 60CSx and think that the rest of the number is just below the number you quoted but preceded by BNG (I guess for bearing??) so it's all there - a 5 digit reference.
I would want on occasion to reduce the number range from 5 digits to say 3 or 4 but can not find a menu option to do that - any ideas? I've mailed Garmin to ask support this question. It's similar when using Mapsend TOPO GB.

Cheers
ernieb
999ginger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ErnieB

I've done some work with it and I've concluded that the BNG is "British National Grid". I thought it was bearing as well!!
Your right about the 10 digit reference but I can't work out a way to reduce it.
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes - your British National Grid sounds correct - I'll post any update from Garmin if and when I get a reply!

ernieb
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a reply from Garmin and there is no way to reduce the resolution of the OSGB co-ordinates from the set 10 figure. (My Meridan Colour does allow for this to happen)

Also I queried whether you could send new mapping data to add to data already sent to the mirco sd card - reply was it gets wiped out each time you send the information. SO if you need a local set of maps and maps for a trip you need to select and send both - if you have the space. I've just ordered a 512Mb card to replace the 64Mb. Also there is no way to manage the sd card from the GPS other than know it's size and record the size your sending from the GB TOPO.

Cheers

ernieb
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSmap60Csx co-ordinates Reply with quote

999ginger wrote:

So the Garmin says something like:

TQ 37408
BNG 80343

and you want a 6 or 8 digit reference then drop the least significant digits ie:

TQ 37408 80343
TQ 3740 8034
TQ 374 803

These give 1, 10 and 100 meter accuracies respectively.

Hope that makes sense!
ernieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy,

You're correct BUT the Garmin GPS always expects a 10 digit number you can not drop the ones you do not want to use you must pad out the number with zero's.
I had expected that there would be an option, when setting the map reference to OSGB, to set the number of significant digits you would want to use - this is option offered by other GPS manufactures firmware.

Cheers

ernieb
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieb wrote:
the Garmin GPS always expects a 10 digit number

OK, I see your point about the GPS having an option to degrade the accuracy for you but I don't find it to be such a problem in normal use - I just add or drop the two extra digits.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: