Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanos63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Mobile Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Hi all,

This may sound like a stupid question, but i'll ask it anyway.

I downloaded all the POI's for speed cameras and loaded them all to my i3, which was great, but when using it out on the road the thing will start beeping and stuff warning me of mobile speed cameras and tempory speed cameras, when there is nothing there.

My question is, what's the point in this? Why download all the temp and mobile cameras when by the time you have downloaded them and use your GPS they have probably moved on and it is gonna warn you about nothing?

I have since removed the mobile and temp database from the i3, cuz i got fed up with looking like a 85 year old man slowing down to 30mph for no apparent reason all to shut my i3 up!

thanks

P.S no offence to any 85 year old men who read this, i'm not saying you drive slow, just carefully.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed Cameras Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
Why download all the temp and mobile cameras when by the time you have downloaded them and use your GPS they have probably moved on and it is gonna warn you about nothing?
Certainly a mobile site is one where the safety camera partnership in your area occasionally put a mobile speed camera - ie without that warning and slowing down to the speed of an 85 year old (I guess by that you mean the actual speed limit on the road) then you will get caught for speeding.

Certainly round here, I reported a mobile speed camera site a couple of years ago (a purpose built concrete area at the side of the road) - it's so early they used to be the 2nd and 2rd cameras in the mobile speed camera database - however, I've never seen them used until last week. They are right next to a school, and it's to help limit accidents of the school kids.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed Cameras Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
....slowing down to 30mph for no apparent reason.....

The apparent reason would be that the speed limit is 30 mph and at some point a camera has been seen in that location.

Seems fairly obvious to me.

Nick.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile Speed Cameras Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
by the time you have downloaded them and use your GPS they have probably moved on and it is gonna warn you about nothing?

Yeah, but the mobile sites are places where they frequent. If the alerts bug you then either slow down or remove the mobile/temp cameras from your unit.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week i was in Durham visiting the In-Laws and my i3 did it's first real long distance journey. Like you i thought these Mobile alerts are getting on my ***s (the A217 near me is littered with Mobile sites which never seem to be used when i travel down it) and i nearly removed them. Fortunately i didn't as one day in Durham i was going up a road and the Mobile alert was giving it BONG, BONG, BONG so i slowed to 40 mph. Annoying alert and no camera. Second time up the road, same thing, slowed to 40 mph. Third time, was overtaken by a big Merc doing about 60+ mph just as i spotted the van at the top of the hill.

By slowing down each time (like an 85 year old or not) not only did i loose the annoying BONGS but i also (hopefully as it's still not 14 days - touch wood) saved points and a fine.
deanos63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
By slowing down each time (like an 85 year old or not) not only did i loose the annoying BONGS but i also (hopefully as it's still not 14 days - touch wood) saved points and a fine.

ah so you too are doing above the speed limit? YOU SHOULDN'T BE GOING FASTER THEN THE SPEED LIMIT PAULB2005 ANYWAY!!

So swing and nickwolf what your saying is that you never go over the speed limit, may I ask why you have the speed camera database loaded on to your GPS unit?
I loaded them because occasionally the road is clear and the weather is fine and i may do 45-50 in a 40 zone, I do NOT speed in a dangerous way, and i think you know what i meant, so why be arrogant about it?

If you Judge someone, someone will judge you!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So swing and nickwolf what your saying is that you never go over the speed limit,

I've got no idea how deanos63 got to that conclusion from what was posted above.

deanos63 - you don't need to try and justify speeding here. I think you'll find most people agree with what you say.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
i may do 45-50 in a 40 zone, I do NOT speed in a dangerous way

Ok deano, You dont speed in a dangerous way...Let me refresh your memory...

Recently nationwide there has been a number of Road Safety Adverts on the TV - namely a young girl (10 yrs old ish) whom has just been knocked over at 35mph, we then see her at 30mph - the difference is that at 30 mph theres an 80% chance she will survive, at 35 mph its an 80% chance fatality.

Speed limits are there for a reason deano, admittidley everyone breaks the limit from time to time - But PLEASE take on board there is no such thing as .....

deanos63 wrote:
i may do 45-50 in a 40 zone, I do NOT speed in a dangerous way

Not a wise attitude to take when driving in the UK, and many of my colleagues down the nick will readily agree!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
paul4400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: cameras Reply with quote

I would rather be warned that im in a mobile zone, all i do is have the volume set on 4 then its not so in your face. Its a mobile camera zone so its likely that most of the time they are not there but i would rather know because it just makes you more alert to spot them if they are Smile
As you said if its to annoying remove them from the data base, here in norfolk i find that there is a camera van in the mobile sites at least once a week sometimes more so i choose to leave mine in :D
005clive
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t remember the country (I’ll try and look it up), but a country many years ago would only ever give a one off penalty for speeding

DEATH

I’m not trying to say I’ve never exceeded the speed limit, I have but remember it’s not just your life you’re playing with

Tom Tom 720T
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanos63 wrote:
So swing and nickwolf what your saying is that you never go over the speed limit
No, I simply object to referring to people who sticks to the speed limit near accident blackspots as "85 year old"
Quote:
may I ask why you have the speed camera database loaded on to your GPS unit?
Actually, right now I don't.
Quote:
I do NOT speed in a dangerous way, and i think you know what i meant, so why be arrogant about it?
I doubt any of us speed in a dangerous way, and I wasn't being arrogant.
deanos63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing i'm grateful for your response, thanks.

All i'm saying is that there are people on here that keep on about "there is no such thing as speeding in a non-dangerous way" blah blah blah!
and, "you shouldn't be speeding at all anyway" etc etc... "speed limits are there for a reason"
but it's these same people that tell us to download the database for speed cameras, it's great it tells you where all the saftey cameras are, i've got them all!

I bet you these same people (yes, the one's that know the law down to a T, and never ever ever go past the speed limit ever) have radar and laser detecors scattered across their dashboards like it's a shelf in dixons!

and no one answered the question Why? maybe you can answer ride4smilesjonny you seem to know it all?

and i already apologised for the 85 year old man thing, i was being a bit sterotypical.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said I didn't go over the speed limit from time to time (although I do try to stick to the limit as I believe safe speeding is an oxymoron).

What I was saying is that the reason the unit warns you to slow down is because somebody at some time in the past has seen a camera at that location.

If you don't want to know about that then keep the mobile part of the database deleted.

The only thing I would say is that I drive 1000 miles a week in a police force area (West Mercia) that uses predominately mobile sites and I have a clean driving licence, many of my colleagues who do not have gps and the database have 9 or more points on their licences and really have to drive like 85 years olds to hold on to their livelihoods.

Nick
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a motorway patrol officer for greater manchester police i think we are loosing sight of what we should be using this database for.

lets keep it simple, everyone who gets in to a car and drives breaks the law, its that simple because 1mph over the posted limit is an offence !!!

so back to the reason of the database. wether you like it or not the cameras are here to stay, the up side is as of next year the money raised from the cameras cannot be put back into buying new ones. at the cost of the units this can only mean a reduction in new ones.

the cameras are there after a period of assesment by the safety camera partnership following an increase in serious or fatal road colisions or constant complaints about speeding offences in that area.

with this in mind lets re educate ourselves in the use of the database and use it as a tool to warn us about the on coming dangers ie a high risk accident location or an area prone to speeders.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano,

theyre called SAFETY cameras, not speed cameras (making a point, not saying you aint addressing them correctly!) -

So, they are SAFETY, why? cause they advise us that the area into which we will enter is historically or potentially dangerous!
Not SPEED cameras so we watch our speed! Get it! Wink

As for your question as to why they advise us of 'nothing' - Well thats as simple and plain as the I3 on your dash my friend, these have been uploaded to advise us when maybe a workforce, roadworkers etc WERE in the area, and for the SAFETY of these people we are advised that they are/maybe here on our passing! Its quite probable to summise that the roadworks/maintenance work has finished and the temp cameras now relocated elsewhere- You done the right thing for you and took them off, so no probs and happy smiling faces all around!

Keep ye' speed down! 8)
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: