Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 550 hissy/tinny sound from voice + camera db query.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 550 hissy/tinny sound from voice + camera db query.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Navman 550 hissy/tinny sound from voice + camera db query. Reply with quote

Hi, I just got a Navman ICN 550. Has anyone else experienced a slight tinny/hissy voice from the speaker when you get voice directions? Do I have a faulty device?

Also how do I load camera database info into the ICN 550?
Home 2.7.3.1894
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think that you will find that the hiss is familiar to all of the icn range. My 510 has it.
I would not think that yours is faulty. Female voice is worst.
Cannot help about POI’s but have a good search around this forum.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load the camera database the same way as for the other Custon POI-capable Navmans. Use the .asc files of your choice and iport the files int your device using Navman POIEdtor.
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that guys. The voice is a bit of a let down frankly compared to my old ICN 630 which was much clearer, but I'm getting used to it. Hopefully a Service Pack upgrade later on will fix it a bit? Who knows. Also I'll try loading the Speed Camera DB like I used to do then.
Home 2.7.3.1894
flamethrower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load speed cameras using SmartSt Desktop, goto map and select Points of Interest. This opens the POI Editor. In POI Editor goto File and select Load Text File.

The POI Editor likes *.asc files but you can also feed it XLS tables too. www.poiedit.com will modify anything else thats to exotic for this brand. Idea

My iCN550 only has the capability to load 25 POI layers. which is annoying as different speed safety cameras take up most of these. Another problem is that only the first 99 POI's appear to load onto the unit Sad

If you have better luck or find a way to hack anything better please let me know Smile
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flamethrower.

With regards to your POI's only loading 99.
I think you will find they all load, it's just a Navman thing that it doesn't display more than 99.
A way to check (and I just did it to make sure), is go to your 'select POI' screen and select a speed zoned camera file. Check the entries displayed.
The first entry displayed in my 30mph file is GATSO:1000@30 and the last GATSO:10922@30.
If you then browse you're original speed camera file in either Notepad, Excel or POIedit and type in any camera number on the Navman keyboard that's not listed, eg GATSO:595@30, GATSO:2929@30 etc. you will find that the Navman does find it. :D
It just don't display it on the list. Crying or Very sad
Bit pony I know, but that's the way the 520 works anyway.
Hope this helps.

CJ
flamethrower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ

Many thanks for tip. I just checked and you are correct. I just assumed the worse because I have endless disappointments with this model. The issue now becomes, what happens if you live in Warrington and have a POI layer of 130 Toys R Us stores, but you are not in map range. Confused

I was wondering if it was possible to rewrite the and ini file on the unit, as there must be a 99 show cut-off bug in there some where.

Do you have any tips for fast entry and editing of Favourites? I managed to import them as POIs from my old GPS and then save them one by one to the 200 max Favourites DAT file only to find that there was a space character in front of each name. I have yet to find a way to edit Favourites from the PC and the unit wants me to re-write each name.
8O

I've found the Favorites file on the unit and imported it back to my PC but I don't know what software to use for editting it as it's in code.

Regs,
FT

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: