Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera alert on icn510??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera alert on icn510??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanysean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Speed camera alert on icn510?? Reply with quote

Hi have just bought this unit and have d/l from this site the software to add camera sites but before I add to the unit can anyone tell me...is there enough room on the standard memory card to do this? or do i need to upgrade...i don't want to start it and then mess it up!...also can i mess things up by doing this or do the cd roms i get with unit allow me to re-format back to factory spec if i was to mess it up. :D also one last q......is it easy to complete.....if anyone else has done this to there 510 I would like to know how you got on and what u think of it? thanking you all in advance for your expert knowledge.
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size of card do you have? There is plenty of room on a 256 Mb card. If you have a 128 Mb card it might be tight.

Do you want to add the camera sites separately (by speed and camera type) or will you be happy to use the "all in one" file? Having all the camera sites on separate files will take more room than the single file.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera alert on icn510?? Reply with quote

seanysean wrote:
Hi have just bought this unit and have d/l from this site the software to add camera sites but before I add to the unit can anyone tell me...is there enough room on the standard memory card to do this? or do i need to upgrade...i don't want to start it and then mess it up!...also can i mess things up by doing this or do the cd roms i get with unit allow me to re-format back to factory spec if i was to mess it up. :D also one last q......is it easy to complete.....if anyone else has done this to there 510 I would like to know how you got on and what u think of it? thanking you all in advance for your expert knowledge.

Hi Seanysean.
I am running a 520 but I have installed the cameras on my brothers 510.
It appears that the only difference is that when installing the cameras, the 520 tells me I have 96MB of free space and the 510 tells me I have 5MB of free space, (more than enough for the cameras).
I have managed to install them as 5 different files, each with it's own bitmap and text label.
He's more than happy with that setup.
In answer to your question, is it easy to complete. Honestly, it's a piece of cake. Instructions are very clear indeed.
If you need any more help just yell.
More than happy to help (if I can).

CJ
seanysean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies..nice to know there is help out there.

Is there anywhere I can get a step by step guide as to how to do this? (idiots guide...... )

this site shows the following.... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-navman.php

is this how you got them onto your brothers system? is this all i have to do or is there more (do i have to do this several times for different files?)....just trying to get as much info before I give it a go...worried I might mess it up!!!

as always your help is very much appreciated..thansk in advance.

Seanysean

:D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That page is a bit out of date. You do need to follow the instructions for each file you want to import, but you can now use the .asc files, which need NO EDITING :D for use with Navman products. What I do is unzip the whole file, then make a new directory called Navman and put all the files I want (.asc and .bmp) into it. This saves time later, as you don't have to navigate between directories to associate the .bmp files with the .asc ones.

If you have any problems, just holler.
seanysean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for your help...but without sounding like a dunce....... Embarassed can you either tell me where there is a step by step guide on how to put on to my system or please tell me yourself step by step.....is the software I d/l from this site for the speed cameras ok? is it what you guys have used?

sorry to have to keep asking.....but I knowyouguysknow how to do it cos youhave done it...so who better to ask than the experts. 8)

cheers
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of different files can be quite daunting. The files are separated by camera type and by speed zones.

To make it nice and simple, the kind folks at Pocket GPS also have provided a single file with all of the cameras on. Once you have got the hang of this, then you will be happy to download all sorts of files.

Once you have unpacked the zip file(preferably into a folder called Navman or something similar) you should look in that folder for another folder called "single file Version". In that folder there will be a number of folders. As Tim points out you can use the "pocketgps_uk_sc.asc" file without needing to edit it.

Just follow the instructions.

You shouldn't have any problems.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanysean wrote:
thanks for your replies..nice to know there is help out there.

Is there anywhere I can get a step by step guide as to how to do this? (idiots guide...... )

this site shows the following.... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-navman.php

is this how you got them onto your brothers system? is this all i have to do or is there more (do i have to do this several times for different files?)....just trying to get as much info before I give it a go...worried I might mess it up!!!

as always your help is very much appreciated..thansk in advance.

Seanysean

:D

Hi Seanysean.
That was how I got them on to my brother's system, and that was all I had to do. Instructions are very clear.
Go on take the plunge. We're here to help. :D

CJ
seanysean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent guys...thanks for all of your help and advice...I have now got the cameras on my unit.

do you know of anyway to add a different audible alert onto the unit that could say something along the lines of "speed camera"etc...? any ideas?

cheers again. really pleased :D
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past threads on this topic have suggested some people have modified the sound file. Mostly their experience has been that when the new sound file has operated once, all sounds, including directions cease.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seanysean.
There's no pleasing some people :D
I've heard it's a nightmare, and don't work properly, so don't even go there.

CJ
seanysean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another quick q???? in the asc files...there are gatso....redlight...which is self explanitory...but what are specs and continental?

thanks again :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPECS are the sets of cameras that time you over a known distance; continental are cameras on mainland Europe.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: