Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Active POI's, help plz
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Active POI's, help plz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Active POI's, help plz Reply with quote

Hi All.
Can anyone help.
I have been trying to install the speed zoned cameras as seperate POI's so I can display a speed limit for each camera.
I have named the files Gatso2O, Gatso3O, Specs2O Specs3O etc in total I have 23 POI's for the cameras. (navman book says you can have 25 POI's).
The problem seems to be that all my POI's are listed on the Navman 520 but only the first 16 files I transfer are 'active'. If I try and make them active on the Navman and then 'save', the next time I go to my POI's they are still not active.
I have reinstalled them in a different order numerous times and it is always the first 16 that are active, so the files are ok.
Anyone got any ideas?
It's driving me to distraction.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ceejay:

There have been a number of earlier posts about this problem. I believe the short answer is that while the Navman allows up to 25 POI files only 16 may be active.

The difference is simply that active poi's sound the warning chime and the visual count down on the bottom of the screen. Non Active POI's simply dispay the icon on the screen.

Terry Walsh
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry.
Thanks for the reply.
I noted that in the handbook there was no mention of how many POI's could be active. I would have thought that they would all be active.
After all, you are only putting your own POI's in there because you want to know about them.
It wouldn't take much of a software tweak from Navman to rectify the problem.
I will e-mail them and let you know their response.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry.

Got a response from Navman today after phoning their tehnical helpline.
The words 'chocolate' & 'teapot' spring to mind.
They tried to tell me it was an internal memory problem and that my files were too big.
Well I've just created 25 of my own POI files with one destination in each and lo and behold only the first 16 installed are active.
I'll be on the phone again tomorrow.
Keep ya posted.

Chris.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread and see my comments in it - you can have more than 25 POI's. I doubt even Navman understand the whole thing.
monsieurcanard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
Have a look at this thread and see my comments in it - you can have more than 25 POI's. I doubt even Navman understand the whole thing.

What thread!? Laughing

Regards,

Bob
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:

Simon1

I can get the files into the Navman without any problem, but as I said only the first 16 installed are active. Whatever order I install them it is always the first 16 that are active. I wanted them all active.
Anyway, got unit changed today after much ado and new unit is exactly the same Crying or Very sad

Chris
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monsieurcanard wrote:
Simon1 wrote:

What thread!? Laughing

Regards,

Bob

D'OH! This one.... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31198&start=0 You'll see my comment about half way down.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
Simon1 wrote:

Simon1

I can get the files into the Navman without any problem, but as I said only the first 16 installed are active. Whatever order I install them it is always the first 16 that are active. I wanted them all active.
Anyway, got unit changed today after much ado and new unit is exactly the same Crying or Very sad

Chris

All of mine are active in that I can see the icon and (if set to do so), get a warning on approach. The above thread I pointed to may help to explain it in more detail but I don't think even Navman understand it properly.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon
Many thanks for the reply.
I can get all of mine to show the icon too, but I wanted the chime as in p.89 of the handbook.
I quote,
" A maximum of 25 Custom POI can be saved on your iCN. The custom POI files are listed on the My POI screen.
Custom POI's can be set to enable a warning chime or visual warning when in close proximity at the Select Active POI screen"

I cannot change the settings in the Navman to enable the chime from file 17 onwards, even if I disable all of the first 16 installed.
Every time I check the Active, give visual warning, give audible warning check boxes then do a 'save', when I go back to the POI screen they are not active.
It does let me 'reactivate' the first 16 files.
It's doing my head in Sad

Chris
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceejay, on mine I have 25 custom POI's actually showing in the MY POI screen, as the 510 won't list more than that. BUT I have at least one more than that loaded. Of all these (let's say 26), 17 are active with an audible alert as well as visual. The 17th is the one for TEMP cameras and I passed one this afternoon so it definately works.

The other custom POI's are set to just do a visual but no audible alert, and they do just that.

To prove to myself that the TEMP cameras are in there, I went to Go To - Address or POI - Find POI - then click on ANY TYPE and typed in TEMP and up came the first 99 TEMP camera positions.

I can't understand it but it works. I'm using SmartST2005 but I had the earlier SmartST which came with the 510 and it worked on that too.

I'd suggest deleting the POI's, reloading them all as active and then seeing what happens. As I said, they won't appear in the menus but you will be able to find them under ANY TYPE and then putting in the name it's stored as.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon.
Thanks for taking time out to reply.
For the record these files have been deleted and installed dozens of times in my quest to solve this problem, and no matter what order I install them (all active by the way), I cannot change the fact that I can only get the first 16 files installed to be active and can't get the Navman to activate any files installed after No.16, even if the first 16 are made 'inactive'.
I'll give your suggestion a go (I'm getting pretty quick at it now anyway), I'll then run the Navman around and let you know how I get on.
Many Thanks.

Chris.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris:

Just to clarify the, visual alert for an active poi is not the icon at all. It is the name and a count down in feet to the POI in question displayed in the bar at the bottom of the screen. An icon is displayed for all POI's, active or not, although it may be overwitten by other data depending on the priority level you set on installation.

Terry
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry.
Thanks for that.
But the fact still remains that I can't get files 17 to be 25 active whether it be visual or audible, when the handbook says I can have 25 active custom POI's.
Any ideas?

Chris
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
Yippee, whoopee doo. It wasn't me I wasn't there.
I've just got an e-mail from Navman after badgering them for the last two weeks.
They now tell me they are aware of the problem and that a service pack will be available in February to fix this custom POI issue.
I thought I was going mad for a while.
Thanks to all who tried to help me with this problem.
I'm sure we'll be in touch again soon.

By the way, pocketgpsworld, love the site & forums, great way to learn good stuff.
Your world rocks!

Chris.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: