Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Xara Picasso windshield problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Xara Picasso windshield problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ciscoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Xara Picasso windshield problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my Navman not working inside the coated glasses ov the Xara Picasso.

I am thinking of putting a Tomtom GPS in the small space behind the rear view mirror (Citroën state in the users handbook that toll transponders should only be affixed there).

Anyone can tell me if it could work?

Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Xara Picasso windshield problem Reply with quote

I can't see any problem there, but if you do need to use that space for the transponder for toll roads, it may block the signal (I'm not too sure what type of signal it ommits or receives, whether it's radio or not.

Have you thought about a Re-Rad antenna ? Check out our Re-Rad page for two different selections of Re-Rad antennas that re-radiate the GPS signal from outside the car to inside the car.
Mcdig
Occasional Visitor

I put my Holux supermouse on top of the internal rearview mirror in my Picasso and it works fine.

I also have the receiver for my Nokia in car phone kit in the same area as well (no external aerial as it seem to work OK without it)

If you look closely at the windscreen you can actually see the area without the coating approx 9" x 3" (not gone metric yet!)
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

I've got mine installed in the housing for the high level brake light, powered from the rear 12V socket.

Works great.
TonyP
Regular Visitor

On many cars, underneath the rear parcel shelf is a good choice, since it GPS is hidden from view and there is usually a better view of the sky.

If the shelf is metal, there are usually holes in it and you can either tape the GPS underneath a hole, or push it through so that it is wedged between the metal and the trim.

The signals can pass through plastic trim and foam with no trouble. The rear window thin wire heating elements dont seem to make a difference, it is only the front window metal film that causes problems
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

Of course Tony that won't work for me, as I have a dog, and have to take the parcel shelf out most of the time! I suppose I could tape it to her head? At least then I'd know where she is when she runs off (as long as I use a REALLY long cable)!!!!!!!

I can't find the "clear" section of windscreen that people are talking about, in my Picasso? Is it the area that's covered in black dots, above the rear view mirror?
Mcdig
Occasional Visitor

Yes it is in the area covered by the black dots but only at the top 3" and about 4" either side of the mirror.

If you look closely you will see that it is U shaped and looks as if the plastic laminate of the windscreen is missing.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

Thanks Mcdig, I'll take a look.

With the receiver mounted at the rear it works fine, but I feel I get a lag of a few feet. It might be psychological, but it just feels as if the position indicated is the position of the back of the car, not the front!!! This means as I pass under a bridge for example, the tip of the arrow hits the edge as the back of the car passes under, not the front.

I doubt it's actually accurate enough to be a genuine problem, but it just feels wrong!!!!
pawlo
Occasional Visitor

Just for info, I've got my TomTom bluetooth gps receiver mounted on the top of the dash in my picasso and I get loads of satellites with masses of signal strength. This is a brand new Exclusice 2L Auto - but the model shouldn't make any difference.

It seems strange that some picasso owners are having signal problems through the windscreen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: