Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Voice missing Reply with quote

I have successfullydownloaded the maps of France and Spain from the Maps of Europe CDs. However, when I started using them in France, I discovered that there was no voice instruction. Can someone please tell me what I should have done to download the voices. Is there a special file for these and what is it called? Most grateful for any assistance!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice instructions are not map specific.

I'm presuming that you have the GB Map also, and does the voice work with that?

Have you turned the Volume down, or turned it off in Change Preferences?

Have you deleted the dataxx.chk file, the voice file?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
johnnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

: Oldboy
Thanks for swift reply. I was short on detail before, here are the full facts and specs:
Mine is a TomTomGo (original?) bought a year ago and is version 4.420
I bought a set of 4CDs containing Maps of Western Europe, and did not have space enough to download France (233mb) and Spain(124mb) on the SD card supplied as original equipment, so bought a 512mb card and downloaded France and Spain on to this virgin card. Only on landing in France did I discover that although the maps and directional information responded normally to my request for a route, there was no voice prompt.
Going to the "change voice" preference all voices were "greyed out" and it informed "you did not select a usable voice".
- Yes, the voice works with the GB map
-No, the volume is OK, nor did I turn it off in "change preferences"
-The Dataxx.chk file is new to me. How do I know if I have deleted it or where to find and re-install it? This sounds like it may be my problem, although why does the voice prompt still work on GB map?
I have now opened the SD card on the pc and see that there are 3 "Data" files: data-chk (756kb), data04.chk (679kb) and data05.chk(668kb). Each one is labelled "recovered file fragments". Does this help?
Is there a method of testing the voice prompt when the map of France is showing(other than going to France)? The flashing message appears "no usable location near GPS position" when asked to navigate to...
I've banged on long enough - most grateful if you can advise -Thanks, Johnnie
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the GB Map on one SD card and France and Spain on the other?

If yes it means that you need to install the Voices on the France/Spain SD Card.

The Data.chk file holds the Warning Alerts and a few other things. Data04.chk is English Tim and Data05 is English Jane voices. There should also be a engm.vif (Tim) and engf.vif (Jane) files. You need both types of file for each voice. Don't worry about Windows reporting that these are 'Recovery File Fragments'. They're not and you need at least one of the Dataxx files.

If you are using 2 SD Cards you can install the voice you want from the original CD. From memory the option is called Adding Extras.

When you go into Change Voice you have the Option to Test the voice before you finally make your Selection.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
johnnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Voice missing Reply with quote

To: Oldboy
Very many thanks for your succinct and informative reply. I've now installed the voice files - dataxx.chk and the eng.vif files as described... I now have voice prompts. I'll have to test with another x-channel trip. Thank you so much!
Regards, Johnnie
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can test it with the route "Demo" feature, mate. (keep it below about 300% though or you don't get the voices)
johnnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Voice missing Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip Andy - all seems to be working now! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: