Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Total beginner, not a clue, needs help please...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Total beginner, not a clue, needs help please...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saintlvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Total beginner, not a clue, needs help please...? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Navman ICN520 & have been told about this site for downloading the speed camera locations on it. :D

No doubt this has been asked before, but i haven't a clue where to start, Confused which is the correct link for my 520 or to start the download, or what to do with the downloaded file, or how to download into my navman etc etc.... let alone having to 'edit' the settings on my navman.

Can anyone please help a real total beginner? Embarassed

Thanks
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the URL for the instructions

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-navman.php

I know that they say ICN 510 but the 520 is identical as far as these instructions are concerned.

If you look around these forums, there are several threads that discuss the downloading, installation etc of the speed camera data.

If you have a particular problem, come back and somebody should be able to help.

It may all look a bit daunting at first, but its not too difficult at all.
Saintlvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded & saved the zip files & followed the install instructions, but i still have a problem.

I look to open the csv file, but the only one i can see is in a folder marked 'other'. The document is 'pocketgps_uk_gatso' which is an excel file. I right click this to 'open with notepad'... is this right?

I then delete the line Longitude, Latitude, Name and save the edited document. I then run smart desktop as instructed and follow all the instructions. I then click save to device, i Again i have trouble finding the bitmap for the camera icons. I find these not in the same folder as the csv file, but in another folder marked OV2 bitmap files..... is this right?

I then click OK after giving the file a name.. i.e Gatso, and it comes up with a box saying Memory available: 1KB Memory required 212KB. This then proceeds to copy the files.... i then get an error box Error Copying File:2.

Can someone help tell me what it is i am doing wrong?... I havent a clue...
Embarassed
Thanks & Merry Christmas!!!

Saintlvr
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't immediately see that you are doing anything wrong.

I am concerned about your available memory value. With the UK maps and apps loaded you should only have used about 120 Mb of your 250 Mb card. So there should be 120 Mb left not 1kb.

Check that the card is in the slot and properly in contact.

212 kb is a large figure for the file. You are using Notepad, aren't you?
Saintlvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I am using Notepad..... but i'm not sure if i am downloading the right file or even opening the right one..... the card appears to be in correctly... is there any where on the card that tells me the memory capacity? It just says GB Navman & thats all I can see.
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the procedure of putting the file on to my unit again.

I choose the file " pocketgps_uk_sc.csv" from the single file version folder.

This has all of the safety cameras all together. The file is quite large, 733kb but my SD card which only has a few POI files on has 95 Mb spare.

Carefully looking at the back of the SD card I can find 256 inscribed in small numbers.
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's an oddity.

I tried an upgrade of my Microsoft ActiveSync from v3.7.1 supplied by Navman to V4.1 supplied from the Microsoft web site.

When I tried to load a POI file, I was greeted by the message 1kb memory remaining. I know that I have about 90 Mb free.

I am heading back to v3.7.1 of ActiveSync!
Saintlvr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is strange!!

I have the same v3.7.1 version on my Microsoft ActiveSync but still had the message that you received after you upgraded.

I have now managed to load the POI files BUT to do this i had to delete some of the maps from my memory card which is a real pain !! Crying or Very sad as I will now have to buy the maps to put on again IF the memory space allows it!
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to v3.7.1 of Activesync.

Now have 94Mb of available memory again
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..sometimes when you try to load poi's or manipulate the maps in some way it leaves a ghost of the maps on the card giving the impression that there is no room on the card. You need a fresh install of the maps by clearing the old ones off and replacing with a fresh install, this should sort it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: