Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for traffic ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for traffic ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: GPS for traffic ? Reply with quote

I have re'newed my intrest in purchasing a sat nav system.

Is there a combination or software / hardware around that lets you know of traffic in the area you are in ? As well as the usual door to door directions ?

Thanks in advance.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom will do this if you subscribe to their Traffic service and if you have a mobile phone that can link with your sat nav system. How well it works and how useful it is has been the subject of some debate in these forums - I can't comment on that because I don't use it, being too tight to pay for the subscription.
Vizbox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there isn't any that you don't have to subscribe to ?

I noted the system on the new Porsche Cayman. Clarkson said it was very good. I know its built in (not sure if subscription is necessary ), just wondered if there was anything similar ?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route 66 Mobile 7 if you have a Nokia smartphone, or Mobile 2006 if you have a Sony Ericsson smartphone. They claim to provide subscription free traffic updates with automatic rerouting. I haven't tried it yet as I am still awaiting delivery.
Bassrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmm

All depends where you live with theseTraffic Services e.g. my built in Traffic Master is no use in my area as there are too few sensors to properly advise of traffic situations in advance, thats my view in respect of using traffic master in the East coast/Edinburgh area.

In terms of the traffic service provided by TomTom, AA and uncle tom cobly and all, you really have to weigh up the cost versus benefit scenario, if you mainly drive to and from work on the same roads every day you are more likely to know of all the trouble spots on route, if you've been driving the same route for a number of years you have probably already finely tuned your route to the nth degree to avoid trouble spots. So if you were to utilise a Traffic Service the likelyhood is that it would not advise you promptly enough of the situation. If its long term roadworks then the system will no doubt know, but so will you, if its an accident just happened I doubt traffic system will pick it up in time.

However, South England, London, these Traffic Systems may well be excellent, but its where you live and drive most that determines the value and benefit you will get from such a service.

If its a one off trip south, may be its not worth it and the probabilty of being held up may be minimal.

Any comments out there on this aspect:- !!

Bassrock Twisted Evil
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: GPS for traffic ? Reply with quote

Vizbox wrote:
I have re'newed my intrest in purchasing a sat nav system.

Is there a combination or software / hardware around that lets you know of traffic in the area you are in ? As well as the usual door to door directions ?

Thanks in advance.

How about this. It looks good:

AA Navigator 5040T £579.99 inc.VAT

A fully integrated navigation and traffic solution, which provides you with up-to-the-minute AA traffic information along your route and gives you the option to route around any traffic problems.

As well as incorporating fully featured AA navigation software, the 5040T will receive traffic information via a radio receiver built into the in-car power cable. AA Traffic information is broadcast 24/7, 365 days of the year and is received by the radio receiver, providing you with detailed traffic information along your route. You then have the option of automatically rerouting around any traffic incidents.

The traffic information you receive is free for as long as you have the unit, with no further fees or subscriptions.

The radio receiver works completely independently from the car radio

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: