Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Data Logger Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Data Logger Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erehwon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Data Logger Software Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting a bluetooth data logger GPS for use with my Pocket PC.

I see the data logging to be useful as I want to save my tracks without having to leave my Pocket PC switched on all the time. I'd then like to view my tracks on my PC (and possible Pocket PC) using Memory-Map, Fugawi or another mapping application.

With the data loggers that are currently available, is there a simple way to save the route from the GPS and display it on a map? I understand that you can replay the data in real-time and presumably then save it afterwards, but this seems a long-winded way to do it. Is there a way to download the data and then convert it into a format that can be imported by other applications? What sort of format is the log usually in? I know this will be dependant on the GPS and the software used but any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Also, I assume getting tracks displayed will be much easier on a PC than a Pocket PC, just because there'll be more tools around to use. Therefore how useful is it to have a GPS data logger with Pocket PC log management tools?

I'll save my questions about which data logger model for another topic! Wink

Thanks in advance.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data is extracted in lat/lon format, with additional fields like time, speed, direction etc. Sometimes you can import this directly to your prorams, other times you may need an Excel macro or two.

There's no question on the data logger model - the DeLorme BlueLogger is still unsurpassed.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
erehwon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz. So would I be able to download my track onto my PDA and use Pocket Excel (or something else) to convert it to something I could display on a pocket mapping application? Or would I have to wait until I got back to my PC?

As for actual hardware, I'm waiting for someone to bring out a SiRF III Bluetooth GPS with a data logger. Does anyone know if one of these is in the pipeline? I hope I'm not asking for too much! :D
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Logger needs a PC to extract the data. The Emtac Trine can also serve a PPC application. (If have lots of energy and time then you can snoop the BT protocol that the Blue Logger is using and write a PPC program around it)

SiRF III data loggers? Shouldn't be long any more until they appear. The only problem will be the battery - SiRF III is much more power hungry (processing intensive) than, let's say, SiRF II/lpe

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
erehwon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only problem will be the battery - SiRF III is much more power hungry (processing intensive) than, let's say, SiRF II/lpe

It's never an easy choice is it?! Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: