Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pda mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pda mounts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: pda mounts Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Am I right in thinking that you only get the pda mount and cables when you buy the navigator 2 WITH gps?

If so, can anyone recommend a pda mount for the iPAQ H2210?

thanks,

Matt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: pda mounts Reply with quote

Yes - you only get the TomTom mount if you buy the full pack. The software only pack is just that - a CD, a licence key label and a (fairly useless) thin booklet in a DVD case.

Your options for the 2210 are probably a bit limited at present because it is so new.

Brodit have released a 2210 holder (part number 848568), but it's passive. They haven't released an active holder yet - that's one with a built in charging cable. If you don't care about connecting your own cable, maybe this is the right solution for you. Go to www.brodit.com and take a look if you are interested.

If you can't find a custom 2210 solution you like, you could always buy a universal mount.

David
matt_e
Lifetime Member

Thanks for that David. It looks like a nice mount and as I am intending to buy a separate car charger, passive is not a problem.

I could not tell from the site where they can be bought.

Also, do you know how they fix to the dash?

Cheers,

Matt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

You buy a separate Brodit ProClip which is unique to your car - if you, at the top left of the Brodit home page, press the "Right Hand Drive" button (assuming you are driving, like most of us, a RHD car), then select the manufacturer of the car, then press the little red Search button, you'll be offered the choices available.

You may be offered several choices for your car; choose the one that brings the Pocket PC closest to hand (centre mount, if offered, is usually a good choice - but if you click on each one in turn, you'll get some pictures).

Ordering - in the UK you need to talk to Handnav. They haven't got the 2210 mount on their web site yet, but they should be able to get it.

There's a review of the Brodit mounts on this site here.

David
matt_e
Lifetime Member

Thank you again!

Unfortunately the only clip available for my car is the angle one which sits at the bottom of the centre dash to the left hand side of the gear stick. This looks decidedly unsafe to me.

I think I will have to find an alternative mount - maybe one with a suction cup off the windscreen to bring it nearer my line of sight.

Are these things meant to be used by audio only when driving or do people take a quick peak at the map when driving along?

Matt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

Well, the more you can rely on the audio prompts the better for your safety. TomTom does a decent job here, particularly for difficult motorway crossings and exits when it is sometimes not clear to a stranger which lane to take. TomTom will tell you "Keep right" to prevent you from taking the (wrong) exit.

TomTom also have another feature that is emphasizing the driving safety - you can set a safety speed and if you drive faster than that then the map display will disappear and only the very basic turn information will be shown in big white letters on blue background. (A little bit like the title of the Hitch Hiker's Guide "DON'T PANIC" ;-)

So yes, most of the time you can use it without looking at the screen.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: