Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about SD Card and Safety Cams
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about SD Card and Safety Cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simply_greg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Question about SD Card and Safety Cams Reply with quote

Hey, im new to these boards so bear with me Embarassed

Erm, well im thinking of getting a tom tom 300 soon and i'd like to put the safety cam database on it from this site, is there room on the SD card for the database or will i have to purchase a new card? Or can i delete some unwanted voices etc off the card to make room?

2) With the cams, i shud b able to download them to the TT okay, but about the different speed restrictions section, does this make installation more complicated? What do the different speeds do, will it show up on the TT, different speeds or something Question As you can see im quite confused Rolling Eyes
Regards,
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi simply_greg,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

I think the 300 still only comes with a 128MB SD card. I recommend that you get a card reader/writer and a larger SD card of 256MB or even 512MB and copy the contents of the TT 128 card onto the new one. This then allows you to keep the original TT 128MB SD card as a backup.

There are some guides that should be read (in the following order):

Arrow The beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.
This explains about the different camera types and about categories and subcategories, so that you can decide how you want the database on your unit.

Depending on whether you have TomTom Navigator on a Pocket PC or TomTom GO, please read either:

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto a Pocket PC running TomTom Navigator 5.

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs onto a TomTom GO.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto your TomTom GO.

The above guides may look lengthy and complicated when first seen. However if you grab a cup of coffee and read each one thoroughly then they should make sense as they have been written in a step-by-step way, for ease of reading.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Although buying a bigger card and keeping the original for safety makes a lot of sense, you CAN fit the camera database onto the original card, if you don't want to buy a bigger one just yet (that's what I've done).
First though, it's a good idea to delete some of the foreign voices that you'll never need to make some working space on the card (the Tomtom seems to use the card as a buffer memory sometimes).
You can do that on the Tomtom itself by going to "Change voice" in the preferences menu, scrolling through them and tapping delete on any you don't want.

2) You don't neccessarily have to buy a card reader either, although some people have difficulty getting their PC to recognise the TomTom

3) You then need to pick and choose which set of camera files you want (either the single all-in-one version, the split out into types of camera version or the speed-zoned version). The way these are presented in the download package can be a bit confusing because they are scattered in different folders....

If you want the full speed-zoned set you need:
All the files from the pocketgps_uk_sc\speed zoned\gatso\ov2 bmp files\ folder,
plus:
All the files from the pocketgps_uk_sc\speed zoned\mobile\ov2 bmp files\ folder,
plus:
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.bmp
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2
pocketgps_uk_temp.bmp
from the pocketgps_uk_sc\ov2 bmp files folder.

All of these then need to be copied to your map folder. Easiest done in three separate copy and pastes, and make sure you only copy the files not the folders. You should end up with 17 .ov2 files and 17 .bmp icon files with matching names. Ignore any other files in the folders.

(Incidently, I use the "Pearce" .bmp files from the pocketgps_uk_sc\alternative bmp files\Pearce folder instead, which give speeds for the mobile sites too). Just select them all and overwrite the existing .bmp files in the map folder with them, if you want).

Once the files are all in place, disconnect the Go, allow it to reboot, then go to "Manage POI" in the "Preferences" menu, then "Enable/Disable POI" and select (tick) all the "pocketgps" categories.
Next go to "Warn when near POI", select each category in turn and set a distance and warning sound for each type/speed. Set "Warn only if on route" ON if you don't want cameras on nearby roads to trigger, but this option can miss some cameras that haven't been positioned exactly on the road you're on in the database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: