Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will any Pocket PC do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will any Pocket PC do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crayon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Will any Pocket PC do? Reply with quote

Hello. I am the original complete noob. Embarassed I am interested in getting hold of a pocket pc with the sole intent of using with tom tom navigator and a gps receiver. Will any pocket pc do or are there particular minimum requirements to run a navigator to be used mostly in the car, and potentially, later on a motorbike? Is there a good cheap gps receiver?

Sorry for being such a noob - I guess that this question has been asked many times before and I hope that it isn't too tiresome for someone to give me an answer.

Thanks in advance.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of TomTom Navigator are we talking about? TTN5 supports only ARM processors.

Apart from that you can indeed assume that any Pocket PC will do, even the ones not on the TomTom compatibility list.

To put this into perspective - I got TTN3 running on a Compaq Aero 1550 ! !! (16 MB RAM, 66 MHz processor, grayscale screen...)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crayon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we would be talking about TTN5. Is it going to run like a dog's dinner on a cheaper pda. I was thinking of something by HP or Dell, but am pretty much open to ideas. Is an ARM processor the latest? What exactly is the difference between that and previous chips?
Andy_
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the negative coments about TTN5 at the moment, I would give it a miss for a while or at least until they sort all the bugs out. There is a post on lots of people's dissappointment with TTN5.

I bought a Mio 168 with TTN 3 about 3 weeks ago,, it does everything I want it to do, everything on it is so customisable! It's worth reading a few other's coments about it, you may be impressed!
crayon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Andy. What sort of negative things are being said?
crayon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post again so quickly.

Ibvendlin - what is an ARM processor and how do I know a pda has it? Is it a type of processor or brand name? Sorry if this has been gone over many times before..... Embarassed
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> with the sole intent of using with tom tom navigator and a gps receiver. <

Why not get one of the TomTom GO devices, which is dedicated to navigation and has some features most PDAs lack (like a hi-volume loudspeaker)?
dadstheman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Will any PPC do? Reply with quote

Just to add my voice in praise of the mio 168. I too am new to this and wanted a simple, effective gps system that I could transfer between cars and that would help avoid those prolonged silences with the wife following an animated discussion of directions when driving on the continent.

The mio fufills all of this and was (comparatively) cheeap too. I've just 'upgraded' to tomtom 5 today, but remain to be convinced I've made a wortwhile decision (was on TTN 3 before).

Downside of the Mio is that the manual is crap, but using this site got me over the problems of set up.

Hope whatever you get fits the bill.
johnbull
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: beginners PDA Reply with quote

I have just set up a HP Ipaq RZ1710 with TT5 and that works a treat,bought a powered?amplified car mount and GPS aerial all off Ebay full set up for £180. If that is any help
crayon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is helpful! :D Looking for something similar, Johnbull. Dadstheman I'll bear the mio in mind as well as the ipaq when I look on e-bay. Amcluesent-Reason I don't want a dedicated one is that I want to swap sometimes, and in the future use it with a motorbike (thats probably a whole different can of worms)

What types of gps thingies are there? Which is the most portable? Which works the best? Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: