Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom mobile 5 out on ebay before the shops
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom mobile 5 out on ebay before the shops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Tomtom mobile 5 out on ebay before the shops Reply with quote

Unscrupulous ebay sellers are selling tomtom mobile 5 software on ebay before it is evern released by tomtom. Ebay should stop these pirates, have made a complaint to them already
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Please be also aware that these are pirated copies that will not allow you to use any of the Plus services.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ebay will always be the first place that all the fakes get sold. Also be aware that tomtom will not support you in any way if you don’t have proof of purchase and as soon as you mention ebay everyone thinks that its fake.
sh01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why selling the goods you own on ebay is wrong. TomTom Navigator 5 isn't in shops yet, but many people who upgraded directly through TomTom have already got it. I have, for example, upgraded on the day the offer was advertised on TomTom website (£47 inc. shipping) and received my software and maps of europe (7 CDs!) yesterday. Now if I don't activate the product and sell it on ebay for a profit then I don't see anything wrong or illigal with this.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't activate then that's a slightly better scenario (most of the eBay offers are already activated) but the TomTom fine print (which gets much disputed here) still tries to prevent you from re-selling the license.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sh01 i totally understand what you are saying they are a lot of legit people out there trying to make and honest buck. But on the other hand there are alot of people that sell software with the activation code which has been registered twice and there is no way of knowing untill you get the prodcut delivered. Online auctions sites will always be open to abuse, dont get me wrong i sell things on ebay and i do buy but when it comes to software i would personally prefer to buy from a company.
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ebay you can buy practicly anything, (windows longhorn copies spring to mind) The people i feel have a real cheek are the scammers selling the speed camera poi's that you can download for free on this website for anything up to a fiver (plus an extortionate p&p fee)

You can download TTN5 if you really want, along with memory map, and practicly any other PC or PDA based software using peer to peer programmes such as emule, but it wont be a 'genuine' copy, with all the support and upgrade priveledges you get.

The fact is that for every genuine software product that someone will pay good money for, then there will be a pirate version available. Manufacturers dont help the situation by charging extortionate prices for their wares and blaming the piraters. If software was fairly priced, then more of the people who choose to buy illegitimate copies of genuine software, would go ahead and buy the genuine article. You wont stop software piracy by price reduction, but you would significantly reduce it.

If you dont belive me, microsoft are beginning to learn this same lesson in countries like malaysia and taiwan; where they have slashed the prices on windows XP, because no one would buy genuine copies with new computers, choosing to buy pirate copies for pennies instead. Result: microsoft are now selling more copies of windows XP than ever before in these countries.

Dont get me wrong i have a genuine copy of TTN3, and will be upgrading to TTN5 come payday. PDA's are a comparitively a luxury item, so if work isnt paying, and you can afford to buy a PDA for satnav, then you should be paying for the genuine software, its not like you cant afford it.
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing software costs money and time, people do not realise this. Just because they sell millions of copies it does not mean the software should be copied. Remember if people do not buy the originals then companies will have no incentive to produce new software and new features which we all want.

By the way all the auctions reported were removed, however for everyone removed I think there are 10 more new ones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: