Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom SDK - get sample apps working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom SDK - get sample apps working?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: TomTom SDK - get sample apps working? Reply with quote

Hello --

I'm trying to get the TomTom SDK 3.0 working on Embedded VB 3.0 connected to an HP iPAQ PocketPC h4100.

I cannot for the life of me even get the sample VB applications running! The form comes up on the handheld screen, but no matter what button I click I get "Application Error - An error was encountered while running this program"

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thx

(Ps - the ultimate goal is to code a small .vb executable that does a "NavigateToCoordinate" to a spot in a csv file)

(cross-posted in PocketPC forum)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eVB? I didn't thik they support that... I thought you need to use eVC etc ?

Did you really shell out the money for the SDK?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDK certainly does work with EVB.

Have you installed the SDK bits onto the pocket PC? And have you installed it on the PC you are using to develop, and added the control to your project?

I've never had a problem using it. What version of PocketPC (Windows Mobile) are you running?
ipc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running Windows Mobile 2003... I have the control in the project, I've installed the SDK on the development PC, but I still get the cryptic error whenever I try to execute the .vb file...

I do get a strange message when I open the project in the development environment:

Version 2.0 of c:\[xxx]\TTNControl.ocx is not registered. The control will be upgraded to version 3.0

Apart from the sample, just to check the component is working I've tried

Code:
Private Sub Go_Click()

Dim TTN

Set TTN = CreateObject("TomTomNavigator")

MsgBox (TTN.GetSdkVersionInfo)

End Sub

...but I still get the mystery error message... "An error was encountered while running this program."
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to register it manually with regsvrce.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, ensure that the PC-side control is registered correctly.

Add it as a component to your project (in Project, Components) and then add it directly to the form rather than adding it as an object in code.
aMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipc:

I have the same problem.

Did you find a solution?
Ark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

ipc:

I have the same problem with eVB.

Do you have any solution?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit on conversing via email with another member from another thread who had a similar problem, and eventually determined that the SDK3 doesn't work properly, but the SDK2 works fine.

I got a response from a contact at TomTom who admitted there was a problem and that there would be a fix in the next week or two.

However, there will be a new SDK out with Navigator 5, and in about September there should be a .NET version of the SDK with lots of new functionality (woohoo!!!)

Don't quote me on those though! Laughing

PS - On a corporate level they are also making a mass-activation tool. That deserves another 'woohoo!!!' as it'll make my life a lot easier!.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got the SDK3 fix from TomTom and it works fine.

Send me a PM anyone if you want it (or I'll upload it if someone tells me how - it's just the run-time component).
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nej

nej wrote:
I got a response from a contact at TomTom who admitted there was a problem and that there would be a fix in the next week or two.

You're really a lucky man. I bought it in TomTom site. Then my order was placed in Handango site (?) and this last sent me the bill and the link for downloads.

When I knew about the issue with the OCX control I posted the question in TomTom place, as registered user and too in Handango.

No answer yet. Well I got an email from TomTom Support Team, with the reference number, etc... and came EMPTY Angry . Yes, I can resend it to anybody that wants to know their solution.

Then I went to TomTom site, thinking it could have been a problem in the server cutting down the rest of that email. There I went to my question and saw it was closed, like answered. Looking into it I had a sample of their appreciation for customers (at least for customers programers) as it was EMPTY too.

They just closed the question!!! I cannot believe this. Of course, as there is less than 30 days of my purchase and under Handango rules I filled up for refund.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Finally... Reply with quote

Hi all,

As follow up for the SDK 3 problems with the OCX control I want to be absolutely honest.

I did fill up a form in Handango to be refund under their rule "Defective software" and after TomTom Support closed my claim with an empty answer.

Before this I had contacted too Handango Support telling them what had been TomTom Support answer to my question. And they contacted me very quick.

Every time I linked this thread to my questions to let them know people was aware and telling about.

Today I got an email from TomTom, exactly from the Product Manager Business Navigation Solutions and this is the text:

Quote:
Dear Mr Adell,

Our deepest apologies for providing you with a faulty version of the ocx control in the SDK3. Herewith a zipped version of the ocx control with fix. If you already installed SDK3 you can copy this file over the existing one in the Windows directory on the device.

Please let me know if it works. Should you have any other problems just contact me.

Best Regards

It's clear that is not the customer support who is answering, and it's clear that it is caused by my complaint to Handango. They cannot be selling wrong software.

Now I'm going to test the file he sent to me. But I will try too what is in the download they have for customers. Obviously after their acknowledge of the problem that download for people that has paid for it shall be changed. Oh, well, I will do tonight to allow enough time to TomTom people to read this post and to change it.

If every thing is OK this post will be my end point to this issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
I've been doing a bit on conversing via email with another member from another thread who had a similar problem, and eventually determined that the SDK3 doesn't work properly, but the SDK2 works fine.

Hi nej

I've had a problem with the SDK in that the GetCurrentPosition() method appears to be returning incorrect speed and GpsStatus information. Does the SDK update you got fix that by any chance? (TT effectively said 'tough' when I contacted support about it - said it'd be fixed in the TT5 SDK!)

Cheers

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I've never actually done much playing with the V3 SDK as the V2 one does everything I want. I do have the V3 one (the fixed one) but haven't used it much, so I'm unsure.

Anyway, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the "fixed" one to see if that helps at all.

Apologies if I don't send it today but I left my laptop at home. Grrrr.
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a few weeks waiting now I got several emails from TomTom with attached files, the patch to correct the problem. Yes they sent it again and twice.

So I was happy, preparing my new release with it working. Then I had a doubt: the CAB for SH3 and MIPS need too a patch?

Contacted TomTom support and they answered they don't support SH3 processors.

Was clear that was a wrong answer as SDK 3 offers libraries for them, so I insisted and waiting for a new answer, promised for next week.

So finished the new release and then just preparing the next one using new functions it cames up that at least one of them doesn't work. So new email to TomTom support and a new promise.

The new release was betatested and it came up that TomTom 3.01 works with SDK 3 but TomTom 3.07 doesn't. So finally I came back to SDK 2 again.

More about the same. Checked the download in Handango (official vendors) just today. Still they are selling the version that doesn't work and need the patch. Cannot believe it!!!

So this story doesn't end here, not at least whilst developpers are paying big prices for nothing. Hope TomTom is reading this. Shame on you.

Regards,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: