Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq Vs Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq Vs Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Ipaq Vs Go Reply with quote

Just got a Tom Tom Nav (v3) and Ipaq 4700 deal for just under 500 (inc car kit) but cant get the BT unit to work... going to try again at the weekend after reading about the TT registry changes.

anyway - assuming I can get it to work, tbh I dont have much use for a PDA so thinking that the Tom Tom Go 500 would be better for me. (that and I wont have to pay for new maps and software) but trying to work out the major differences... starting to think that the Ipaq would be better with teh high screen res/size of the 4700 and the BT unit could be stuck to the back and still make it smaller/lighter than the Go.... thats if I can get it to work of course.

AK
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ipaq Vs Go Reply with quote

AlanK wrote:
(that and I wont have to pay for new maps and software)

Ahm, that's wishful thinking. You'll have to pay either way if you want "updated" maps.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I will get newer maps with the new Gos...

This blinking IPAQ thing still aint working so looking set to get dropped anyway.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, you do not mention the type of TTN3 you have, is it 3.07?

The reason I ask is the TomTom forum has a very (very) good article writen by Lutz about BT problems with TT.

I suggest you read it. I also have hx4700 and BT GPS and I had the same problems and I removed TTN3 (even though I was on the latest version) and then re-installed it and 3.07 worked fine. It's if you are before 3.07 or used 3.01 and then upgraded it will not work. The hx4700 BT stack is a little more stable than previous Ipaq's and the 3.07 GPS BT driver from TomTom works well.

Also make sure you are specifying the correct port. Inbound is effectively IPAQ outbound so you really nead COM5 (it works on mine) with 38400 and specify NMEA.

I can (as I use it) recommend GpsGate as it allows your BT GPS to talk to as many GPS pieces of software as it wants to (or the IPAQ can handle). But I suggest you get it working before then.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must use GPS 3.07 on an iPAQ hx4700 - an earlier version should be removed fully:

Turn off Bluetooth, soft reset.

then

Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on "TomTom ~ GPS" and tap OK. You'll probably be asked to tap OK for a soft reset. Repeat until "TomTom ~ GPS" is no longer in the list.

You should also use TomTom Navigator 3.07 (or 3.07T if you have a Traffic subscription) on the hx4700 - earlier versions are not necessarily WM2003SE compatible.

Simon - your memory may have been clouded by using GpsGate. You need to select COM8: - the outgoing Bluetooth COM port - on an iPAQ hx4700 for a Bluetooth GPS. I've never known the ports reverse such that COM5: is outgoing.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I've never known the ports reverse such that COM5: is outgoing.

I actually have seen that happening on an iPAQ 3970 with a GPS 3.03 driver. Of course that lasted only for a few minutes, after I had calmed down enough to be able to remove it without poking holes into the screen.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

Simon - your memory may have been clouded by using GpsGate. You need to select COM8: - the outgoing Bluetooth COM port - on an iPAQ hx4700 for a Bluetooth GPS. I've never known the ports reverse such that COM5: is outgoing.
David

Just checked and my apologies.... Now where is that bottle of JD...
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

Went to Dixons at lunch time and the guy there fetled with it for 20 minutes - the end result being that I can now select Com 8 in the GPS options - only had Com5 listed before.

Not sure exactly what he done (nor did he) but it works now so on with the testing.

Will have to try the uninstall thing soon as I want to use Memory maps with it aswell.

Fun n games!!

(any idea how much is the uprgade to v5 likely to cost as I dont really want to buy v3 at this time but it was under 500 for the PDA, BT & cradle which I cant seem to beat?)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: