Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sound alerts when approaching a POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound alerts when approaching a POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Sound alerts when approaching a POI Reply with quote

I have downloaded and installed the speed camera data base. The appropriate icons appear on the screen and when within 30 seconds and 10 seconds pf the POI a small red warning triangle also appears. So far so good.
However one of the FAQ's on Kirrios web site
http://www.kirrio.com/uk/support/rep_faq.php?cat=2&id=0&rep=35
seems to indicate that I should also have an audible warning that I am approaching the POI. This does not happen.
Unfortunately the Kirrio site screen shots are from MapSonic and not Navigation.
Has anyone got the audible warning to work?
Thanks
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3.0:

Main Menu >> Settings >> POI >> POI Alerter

and then select the POI's you want to be alerted on.
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I did that, which is why the red warning triangles appear on the screen. I have added a default POI, post offices, to my warning list to see if it just imported ones that done have an audio warning.
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise for asking the obvious, but have you checked you have the sound activated and not muted? If you mute the navigation instructions you mute the warnings as well.

A real pain with v3 is that you cannot put the system in Navigation mode without having a destination and hence a route with instructions. Hopefully they will change it so you can in the same way as v2.5
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just gone into MapStore after reading the FAQ's on the ViaMichelin, which says:

In the same way as you can select the POIs you want displayed on the maps, you can assign a sound to a category of POI so that you are alerted as you approach a POI belonging to this category.
Go to "File/Parameters/POI" then "POI-W" and select the types of POIs which you wish to add/link a sound to.
Then, when you are in navigation mode, you will be alerted by an audible signal when you are 30 seconds from a POI, and then again when you are 10 seconds away. An icon will appear on the screen to indicate visually that you are near to a selected POI.

I have done this and synched my Palm and wil try it out in the morning.
barriek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have imported the speed camera databases and they all give the audible warning ok, provided that you have ticked the correct alerter box.
Honda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I have sorted the problem out by using MapStore POIW section to identify those POI's that I want a warning and then synching the Palm. I now get a 'bing bong' at the 30s and 10s mark before the POI. I am quite surprised that I had to use MapStore to set up the Palm, but then ViaMichelin is a bit idosyncratic in its set up.
My next task is to get a verbal warning rather than a musical warning as with loud music in the car the sound is not that distinct.
I agree that the navigation mode default is a real pain. With MapSonic I used to search for a destination, see it on the Palm and check it with Mappy/Multimap to make sure that it was correct. To do this now I have to create a route from my departure point to my destination point and then zoom in on the destination. Unless of course I am doing something wrong!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: