Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio or wait for TT Go??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio or wait for TT Go??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Mitac Mio or wait for TT Go?? Reply with quote

Have been trying a few GPS sollutions recently such as the Ipaq/TT bundle and the Navman 610.

So far I didn't like the Ipaq bundle as it would only work in the car, crashed several times and did not have a very good speaker. There were also too many wires lying about to be able to easily transport it between cars as I am likely to need.

The Navman is better in that it hasn't crashed and its one unit (bar power lead). However no 3d view & no touch screen make it ackward to use and again it will only work in the car.

So I need a unit that wont crash, has touch screen, 3d view, full postcode searches and will work out of the car (i.e. has a battery)

Had pretty much decided the new TT Go's would suite the bill although slightly more than I wanted to spend. However have started wondering (since the review of the Garmin and the very usefull help offerd from the mods) that the Mio168 with TT Nav may be the best sollution as it is portable and can do more than just the Go.

However trying to work out how the Mio compares to the Go;
How long does it last on battery power?
Whats the speaker like? (loud?/clear?)
Whats the display like (reflective?/Clear & bright?)
How big/portable is the cradle? - how usable is it without the cradle (sitting on dash with silly puty or something)
Does it crash much or run out of memory etc (things the Ipaq did a lot)
How much do OS maps cost to run on it and does GPS work on these or is it for display only?

Your thoughts and advice on where I should go here would be most appreciated. Especially as I doubt I will get to try either of these units before I have to purchase unlike the Navmane & Ipaq I just tried out.

Cheers

Alan K
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to add - any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Cost to be under 400 if possible (altho appreciate the TomTom 500 is likely to be touch more at 470)
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However trying to work out how the Mio compares to the Go;
How long does it last on battery power?
Whats the speaker like? (loud?/clear?)
Whats the display like (reflective?/Clear & bright?)
How big/portable is the cradle? - how usable is it without the cradle (sitting on dash with silly puty or something)
Does it crash much or run out of memory etc (things the Ipaq did a lot)
How much do OS maps cost to run on it and does GPS work on these or is it for display only?

MIO 168
Battery power - Haven't had mine run down yet - longest out of cradle (With GPS 3.5 Hours)
Speaker - Loud and clear, in the car, even with radio on.
Screen, not so good in bright sunlight, but on the whole I'm pleased.
Cradle - supplied with two, a screen sucker (the one I use) and an airvent one. As the Receiver is integeral - only one power lead required Smile
Crash / Memory, have experienced niether with my unit Smile (Tempting fate I know !! Confused )
OS Maps, I am using Memory Map with my MIO. Is really good for walking. Set the route up on a PC export it to the MIO and "bob's your father's brother" !!

I am more than pleased with my MIO (Even though there are people here who take the micky because I have it with AA Navigator).

The basic unit with AA Navigator was £349.
Memory-Map 2004 Region 2
Medion MD PPC150 cradle
Kingston 512MB SD Card
PDair Aluminium Hardcase
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, slowly starting to come round to the Mio as a more usefull (& cheaper bundle). Just my above concerns are still making me wonder.

Think the car cradle for the TT more be more portable (but thats only based on the pics I have seen) and still worried about the display but not having seen the new TT is hard to work out.

Fancy memory Maps for the MTB tho tbh will probably be lucky to get used more than once a year (having said that would have been pretty usefull in Aviemore at the weekend).

Would it work without the cradle, i.e. laid out on the dash in some fashion or is the aerial fixed at right angles to the case?
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arial is hinged and will travel about 160 degrees (from flat to the back to almost facing forward), and the hinge appears to be really sturdy. I have found that in the windscreen cradle I don't need to "un-dock" it at all.

With the accessories I have bought I now have something that does everthing I (currently) require of it.

A GPS Unit, Pocket PC, Outlook appointments, calander, address book ..................

And about £30.00 worth of unwanted software Embarassed That seemed a good idea at the time, but were novelties that soon wore thin Laughing

Still the best toy I've bought in ages Driving
Memory-Map 2004 Region 2
Medion MD PPC150 cradle
Kingston 512MB SD Card
PDair Aluminium Hardcase
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want os maps as well youll have to take go for the mio as os maps are not available for the go as its a closed system if yiur going on a long journey then youll need a power lead for the mio as runing a nav system on a ppc does eat the battery very quickly though if you going for a walk for an hour or so then it should be ok any longer and youll need a battery extender pack

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alan

I would wait for about 3-4 weeks and hope that TomTom 5 should then be available for the Mio168 by different suppliers at a packaged price, you would then have the option to buy the latest software and maps.

I use a Mio168 and Medion 95000 (re-branded Mio168) and have had no real problems at all, any having been caused by myself, to have a quick look at the Medion/Mio168 click the link at the bottom of this post then click on the Specification tab, ignore the software images as I use Navigon GPS software for the purposes of the web site.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys -

Realise it will be the Mio if I want the OS Maps (just not sure about that aspect yet).

And will be waiting a few weeks at least for v5 and new maps to come out. Hopefully the new Gos will start appearing soon aswell and allow me to make a fare comparison.

One thing I did read was the Mio took a bit longer than normal to start up or could be slow to reroute - anyone else noticed this?

Also whats the accuracy? I have seen the go posted as 5m - is the Mio the same?
wildcrewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET THE MIO I'M RUNNING TOM TOM NAV 3 ON MINE & IT'S BRILLIANT & THERES AN UPGRADE FOR TOM TOM COMING OUT IN MAY VERSION 5.
I ALSO HAVE O/S MAPS BUT AT THE MOMENT I CAN'T GET THE GPS TO WORK WITH THEM & I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME.
TOM TOM RE-ROUTES WITHOUT ANY DELAY EASY TO USE THE MIO AS A POCKET PC IS BRILLIANT.
I WOULD RECOMEND A 1GB MMC
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wildcrewe,
I have the same combo, the usual problem with Memory Map not working is that you must make sure that all other progs have been closed.
In particular it seems that any part of Tom Tom, or Activesync will stop Memory Map from running.
Go to system, running programs, then Stop All.
You should then find that MM will load and work OK.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: