Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cooking my IPAQ 3870
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking my IPAQ 3870

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Cooking my IPAQ 3870 Reply with quote

I recently purchased a sync & charge usb cable and a cigarette lighter adaptor for this usb cale. Also, there is a mains transformer which is rated at output of 12 volts, 400ma, 3.6watts max. I know the Ipaq is only a 5volt unit. I contacted the supplier who said the 12 volt mains charger is ok for this unit. My question is WILL IT COOK MY 3870? Seems logical to me that the charger should be rated at around 5 volts. Any help before I start cooking would be much appreciated. Rolling Eyes
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a 12V output will cook your PDA, and pretty quickly. It is very irresponsible of your supplier to state such a crap.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yes, a 12V output will cook your PDA, and pretty quickly. It is very irresponsible of your supplier to state such a crap.

I got this 12volt mains charger from Morpeth Mobiles. However, I see there are others selling similar 12 volt mains chargers like the one listed below for the IPAQ 3870

http://www.1st4mobileaccessories.co.uk/pda-accessories/pda_mains_charger.shtml
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to clarify what the 12v refers to, if its is the Input then 12v for a car charger would be correct but it does need to be 5v output. I suspect these are becoming confused.

Obviously a mains charger will not be 12v Input, it will be 220 - 240v. There should be a label on the charger indicating the input and output voltages.

As Lutz has said though, you need to be 100% sure before using either, if they are outputting 12v you will destroy your iPAQ.
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You will need to clarify what the 12v refers to, if its is the Input then 12v for a car charger would be correct but it does need to be 5v output. I suspect these are becoming confused.

Obviously a mains charger will not be 12v Input, it will be 220 - 240v. There should be a label on the charger indicating the input and output voltages.

As Lutz has said though, you need to be 100% sure before using either, if they are outputting 12v you will destroy your iPAQ.

Solved the problem... The mains charger adaptor says on the label Input 110-240v, 0.1a, 50-60hz. Output 12vdc, 400ma,3.6w max. I took it up again with the importer who said that he has encountered no problems in using this with an Ipaq 3870. In fact, I measured the voltage across pin 1 and pin 4 and it does give an output of 5.61 volts. So, seems like the labelling on these mains/usb adaptors is incorrect.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, if the manufacturer is that slap dash about labelling the voltages, would you really want to trust it long term to power your PDA?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: