Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need Software Advice for HP iPAQ hx4705
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Software Advice for HP iPAQ hx4705

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawmedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Need Software Advice for HP iPAQ hx4705 Reply with quote

Hi everyone -
I have been a GPS user for about 2 years with a Garmin GPS III+, mainly in my vehicle. I recently decided to get a Pocket PC based system and purchased the following: HP iPAQ hx4705 Pocket PC, DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2005, Street Atlas USA 2005 Handheld, Topo USA 5.0 and the DeLorme Bluelogger Bluetooth GPS. The HP iPAQ hx4705 Pocket PC has both CF Type II and a SD/MMC expansion slots and I purchased 512 MB cards for both. I successfully installed everything and am generally pleased by the way it performs. However, there is one major disappointment. I want to store at least 50% of a highly detailed US map on a memory card and according to the DeLorme technician, their software is only designed to download relatively small maps. With any map larger than a medium sized state, the decompression algorithm chokes the desktop computer. I unsuccessfully spent 28 hours of processing time trying to download a map to my memory card. Is there any other GPS software that will allow me to work with a highly detailed map of at least 50% of the US on a single memory card? I also consider routing and voice directions to be essential. Is there any Topo map software that will enable me to do the same? Thanks and I'm looking forward to your reply.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your hardware choice....

As for software - any decent street navigation software for the North American market can give you that - if you use a 1 GB card you can get all of the US onto that card.

BUT - this doesn't mean it will be a contiguous map. License restrictions from the map providers will restrict individual map chunks to a maximum of 230 MB. You will not see one single map covering the US as a whole, or even 50% as you mention.

Topographic maps require much, much more storage space. Consider yourself lucky if you can fit one state onto your 512 MB card (in 1:24000 scale).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Lawmedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,
Thanks for the quick reply. I plan to purchase a 1GB memory card in the near future. (I recently heard that Sandisk is planning to release a 4GB CF II Card) Is there a Street Navigation software package that is compatible with the DeLorme Bluelogger GPS that you recommend over the others? How about the best Topo package? Your opinion will be appreciated. Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All GPS software is compatible with all receivers. (The exceptions should be punished)

Best Street Navigation package: Mapopolis
Best Topo software: OziExplorer

(you asked for my personal opinion - you got it. Nothing less, nothing more...)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Lawmedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again -
Thanks for the personal opinions! I believe you have pointed me in the right direction and I will research Mapapolis and Copilot Live 5 to make my final determination. If you want me to, I'll let you know about my final decision and my results after I use it for a while. Take care.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: