Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changed car so need new mount & GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changed car so need new mount & GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillCo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Changed car so need new mount & GPS Reply with quote

Hi Chaps,
I've just changed my car and have found that the TT3 mount and wired GPS don't fit easily anywhere in the new vehicle. I'm thinking that I'll have to change to a BT GPS and some other sort of mount, but I a bit concerned about using BT with my 2210 & TT3 as there have been known problems.
Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
Phill
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phill,

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up

I’m very happy with my Fortuna Clip-On GPS receivers. I don’t think that I’ve ever lost the pairing between my iPAQs and the BT receivers – unlike my Nokia 6310i and the BT headset!

As far as mounts are concerned, I don’t think that you can better the Brodit range.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
PhillCo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Privateer.
By coincidence, I also have to consider a hands free kit for my 6310i. I had one in my old Audi that was fine, but I not as convinced about drilling into my new car - especially as I have paid for it! Sad I was considering using a BT earpiece, although I'm not convinced about looking like Lt Uhura from Star Trek Laughing
What did you decide to do about the phone?
Cheers
Phill
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phill,

I have used a Nokia HDW-2 Bluetooth headset for about 7 or 8 months. I have recently upgraded the Nokia 6310i to a Nokia 6230 and have used the HDW-2 with both phones.

I was initially very impressed with the HDW-2, however its battery life seems to have now dropped to about 20 or 30 minutes of talk time. At which point it starts to beep every 5 seconds. I wouldn’t mind the beeping if it was once a minute but having once left it on for over 24 hours solid (although not connected via BT) the thing still have enough power to stay switched on. I also think that the sound has gone quite tinny and muddy.

BT headsets are great in the car but as soon as you get out, wind noise is a problem for most of them.

If anybody can recommend a good BT headset then please let me know. Thumbs Up

If you’re in the UK (please update you profile by the way) then a good place to buy phones and accessories is www.mobilefun.co.uk

I know what you mean about looking like Lt Uhura from Star Trek! When I first walked from the car park to the office I was called Lt Uhura. I wasn’t even wearing any red clothing let alone a skirt! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I far prefer a wired phone kit - that way you have power for the phone and possibly an antenna connection, as well as leaving the phone's Bluetooth available for a GPRS connection to a Pocket PC or laptop (many phones, including the 6310i, only work with one Bluetooth device at once).

Unfortunately the new Nokia 3G phone that Vodafone are offering doesn't have a wired car kit, so I'll give it a miss. In fact, I'll probably hang on another 6 months at least and wait to see what is launched - I don't see any point in upgrading to a non-3G phone at this point. I don't need a phone with fancy features - I've got a Bluetooth iPAQ after all!

I'd love Vodafone to offer the 3G data card tariffs on a 3G phone - I don't want a data card because I mainly use my iPAQ when out and about, and one device will do me, especially if it supports simultaneous data and voice. Even though Bluetooth is a potential bottleneck, there's not many times when I care that much about speeds when mobile, and a 3G setup bottlenecked by Bluetooth should be rather faster than GPRS.

My Zafira is pre-wired for the phone, and I figured out how to wire the car kit to it. I'm using the Vauxhall antenna, microphone and mute/audio connection to the radio - it's a very neat setup. For various reasons, there is a Nokia microphone in the car, but I don't use it any more. The phone loom also powers my Brodit active mount and a charger for my Bluetooth GPS.

Don't drill the car. There's plenty of no-drill mounting options such as Brodit ProClips and Dashmount brackets. My phone cradle is on a Dashmount bracket, and my PDA mount on a ProClip.

Wind noise is horrendous on my HDW-2 when I'm out and about in my power chair. My seating position is quite high, and the airflow around my head continuous as I'm moving.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: