Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Card problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Card problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dali
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: SD Card problem Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've bought a new SD Card for my ipaq 3850, but when I insert the card into the ipaq I get the message:

"Storage Card Warning !"
"Would you like the system to format the Storage Card folder so that the system can use it ? "
"WARNING: If you select Yes, anyfiles in the Storage Card folder will be erased !"

When I select the "Yes" option I then get the error message:

"Storage Card Warning !"
An error occurred while formatting the Storage Card (error code 31)

I' know there's not problem with the SD Card as I've managed to put files onto it file my laptop. I formatted the card via Windows 2000 but couldn't find a way to format it on the ipaq ? Has anyone experienced this problem before and knows how to get round it ?

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no storage card formatting software built in to most Pocket PCs - though there are various third party products that will format storage cards. I tend to install Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic and Resco Explorer 2003 on my machines - either will format storage cards, and I'd recommend buying both as they both have a place. I tend to use Pocket Mechanic to format as you have more control over the settings.

This does sound horribly like some kind of compatibility issue, though. Can you post details of the brand, size, and any codes or other markings on the back of the card. Sometimes this can reveal which company made the card, which is interesting to know in these cases.

David
dali
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought the SD card from ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46549

No other details on the card apart from SUPER DIGITAL FLASH MEMORY 256MB

I've tried reformatting the card a few times via Windows 2000, my laptop can read the card, write to the card - but once I pop it into the iPaq, I can't write to the card Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there no codes at all on the back of the card? They can be very tiny.

It sounds rather like you have a compatibility issue. I'd try a different card. If you want a recommendation, you could try contacting ValueFlash at support@valueflash.co.uk to see what they recommend. TomTom Navigator, if that's what you're intending to use, is particularly demanding on memory cards.

The option that would be near certain to be problem free is a card made by Panasonic - but as you can see, Panasonic branded cards are expensive. If you don't want to pay for Panasonic, then, in the absence of any specific advice I'd go for one of the High Speed / Xtreme Speed options, as they tend to work much better than standard grade cards. I'd also suggest avoiding Sandisk as their cards can be troublesome in Pocket PCs.

However, ValueFlash will be best place to advise on their range, and they usually have a reasonably good idea which brands and sizes in their range are made by what manufacturers (there's far more brands of SD card than manufacturers). If you don't seek specific advice first, I'd put that you want to use an iPAQ 2210 with whatever navigation software when you're asked in their order process what device you want to use the card with. If nothing else, it strengthens your case if you land up returning an incompatible card, and if ValueFlash know the combination you've chosen won't work, they'll probably contact you rather than shipping something unsuitable.

I'm currently working with Rob at ValueFlash to try to find a decent 1GB SD card other than the very expensive Panasonic. I've got an Integral "High Speed" which produced some odd benchmark results (the write benchmark scores were good, the read ones rather disappointing). Unfortunately my tests showed that this card made TomTom Navigator 3 unstable on my my iPAQ hx4700.

Swapping to my Panasonic 512MB card (which is Integral brand - though Rob and I believe Integral have now switched to a different manufacturer) which contains the same map and POI files as the 1GB card meant the Navigator crashes stopped. Rob is going to try to get me something else not currently in their range - most likely a 1GB Lexar 32x - to try.

David

(who has no connection with ValueFlash other than as a satisfied customer - I bought the Integral 512MB card at full price from them earlier in the year, and I bought the Integral 1GB card I was testing at full price - I'm still sorting out with Rob about exchanging it)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: