Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 & PPC backlight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 & PPC backlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: TT3 & PPC backlight Reply with quote

Anyone know if there's a setting or utility that turns on the PPC's backlight when a turn is announced? That way I have the backlight time out (to save battery) and for it to 'wake up' and show me the map when I need to pay it attention...

W
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... this could pehaps potentially be done by a utility that would simulate a key press whenever the audio is used.

W
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, it would be nice to be able to dim the backlight when the night colours are in use. I know this can be done manually, but I'd like to see it happen automatically when night colours are selected.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could set your PDA screen brightness to automatic so in darker conditions there is less lighting.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You could set your PDA screen brightness to automatic so in darker conditions there is less lighting.

Is there a PPC that does this then? I have back light auto adjustment as part part of Sprite Backup PE on my 2210 but it still requires user input. Would it not require the use of light a sensitive cell to operate full auto control?
dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programmatic control of a PDA's backlight is very hard to achieve successfully, due to lack of standardisation in the way that different manufacturers handle it. The calls in the Windows CE API don't provide a standardised way of controlling backlight levels.

Most if not all iPAQs do have a light cell for automatic backlight level in battery mode only - what do you see in Settings, System tab, Backlight, Brightness tab? If there's a check box for automatic, that's where you select it. I hate automatic and don't use it - but that's a personal thing. I don't see where Sprite Backup comes into this.

Personally I believe that you should supply power to the PDA in car. After a long drive, you could arrive at your destination with almost flat batteries, then you're unable to use your PDA as a PDA? Still, it's a personal thing.

I'm using a Brodit active mount which is hard-wired to a cigarette lighter socket hidden behind my dashboard connected to my carphone wiring.

David
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 & PPC backlight Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
Anyone know if there's a setting or utility that turns on the PPC's backlight when a turn is announced? That way I have the backlight time out (to save battery) and for it to 'wake up' and show me the map when I need to pay it attention...
I simply turn off the "turn off backlight" option - ie the backlight stays on all the time. However, as the "turn off after x minutes" doesn't seem to ever turn off when the PDA is in it's cradle, I have to remember to disable the backlight constantly on option every time I stop using TomTom.

I wonder if one of the plugin authors (eg GPSAssist) can add extra control into this - if TomTom running leave backlight on at all times, and when not running revert to normal settings??

Or of course, maybe a plugin could be written to just handle this one feature....
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidw Wrote :"I don't see where Sprite Backup comes into this. "

What I was refering to was that on my 2210 the only ref I can find about auto back light brightness is a setting on my Today screen which comes as a monitoring program with the premium edition of sprite backup!
dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock,

I see - you were meaning the Backlight control in the PocketMon Today screen plug-in. The instructions I gave are where the control is to be found on a Pocket PC without any such software installed.

swing,

If your Pocket PC is powered in your car cradle, you will need to set the backlight timed turn-off option for AC power to what you want.

I very much doubt any plug-in author can create the behaviour wished for. Unless it's changed in the Navigator 3 SDK, no plug-in program is aware of when Navigator issues a voice command or, indeed, of the state of the navigation engine.

Add to that the fact that the code to reprogram the backlight settings is different for each range of Pocket PC and sometimes each individual model, and any features to control the backlight becomes a testing and maintenance nightmare. Even the 'big boys' like Spb don't guarantee that backlight control will work in their application.

David
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
If your Pocket PC is powered in your car cradle, you will need to set the backlight timed turn-off option for AC power to what you want.
The problem I've got is that I want the backlight on all the time I'm using SatNav (and I can set this as you point out).

However, to save the backlight from wearing out, I want the ipaq to turn off when sitting in the desk cradle (that and the fact the backlight lights up the whole study). No matter how I set the "turn off after x minutes on external power", it never turns off. Originally I assumed TomTom was overriding the setting, but even after a soft reset the ipaq never powers down in the desk cradle.

Hence I can't have what I want - the ipaq and the backlight on all the time whilst running TomTom, and the ipaq not lighting up the study when left in the desk cradle overnight.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I very much doubt any plug-in author can create the behaviour wished for. Unless it's changed in the Navigator 3 SDK, no plug-in program is aware of when Navigator issues a voice command or, indeed, of the state of the navigation engine.

David

You may be right, but I would expect sound to be driven via an API in the PPC OS, so the OS call could be perhaps hooked to give the behaviour I'm after. I don't have the experience or skills to do this myself.

This isn't to save the backlight, or keep it on. It's to make the battery last longer between charges (as the backlight would only ever come on in conjunction with an 'event of interest', and then go off after the normal expiry time. Also good for use at night.

GPS's like the Garmin V have this behaviour by default when running on batteries. It's a feature I use all the time. You just set the backlight time to something other than always-on. Seems an obvious feature (to me), given than many don't want to be bothered with cables in a car - which is one reason why we have Bluetooth receivers!

W
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The innards of Windows CE and Pocket PC are available on MSDN if you wish to look!

I wouldn't worry about backlight failure as such - I've not heard of backlight failure being an issue on Pocket PCs, though the battery issue is understood.

One thing that is worth knowing, if you didn't already, is the "long press on the power button" trick - this is addressed more to swing than wibbly. If you press on the power button for a couple of seconds, the machine will stay on but the backlight turns off. A second long press turns the backlight back on.

So far as hooking the sound, I know that Jo, the author of GPSAssist, wasn't finding it that easy. I had suggested that Jo tried to avoid cutting into voice commmands or at least mix sound from GPSAssist with the voice commands - and there didn't seem a particularly easy way to do either. However, it's a while since I've looked at this myself and my recollection of the sound API is vague.

If you want the kind of backlight behaviour you describe, wibbly, it may be worth suggesting to Tomtom - though do bear in mind the problems of controlling the backlight programmatically that I've already mentioned.

David
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pity, as the Tomtom GO controls the backlight beautifully. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: