Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying an MN4 with TMC & Bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an MN4 with TMC & Bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Buying an MN4 with TMC & Bluetooth Reply with quote

Anyone know whether you get a PDA specific cable with this package?

I'm looking at pcuniverse and it costs 305 quid it seems, but makes no mention of pda specific parts. Looking at globalpositioningsystems.co.uk theirs costs more, but it asks you which pocket pc you have. Is this because the contents is different? I notice that on the navigon website, who are most expensive, it says it comes with a pda mount as well as cables.

So its as clear as mud.

Anyone know what the score is?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no universal way to connect a wired GPS to a Pocket PC; a model specific cable is always needed.

If nobody else can help, I suggest contacting the vendor to establish exactly what the package does and doesn't include - and what you else may need on top of the product on their web site, your Pocket PC and, if relevant, an existing memory card with enough space for the maps.

David
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

The package from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk comes with everything you need to get Navigon up and running with your PDA - ie software and GPS/TMC receiver, in-car twin charger cables for powering the PDA and/or receiver, suction mount with PDA cradle and a mains charger for the receiver. The only issue is that the mains charger comes with a continental two-pin plug, so you will need to buy a three-pin adaptor - 65p from Woolies! You will also need to purchase an SD for your PDA card if you haven't already got one as the UK maps require about 110Mb of space.

I ordered from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk - great, fast servece and a great price! I suspect the one from pcuniverse doesn't come with the car kit.

You *might* find you'll need an external GPS re-radiator but I haven't needed one - despite having a heated windscreen in my Mondeo.

If you're going for TMC, see how well it works in your area of the country. If you're struggling to receive messages and you can get at the aerial input on the back of your car radio, you may find it worth while ordering the Y-splitter antenna cable directly from Navigon. I am expecting mine to arrive any day now.

Hope that helps!

--

Cheers,

Dave
DanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

One of the main reason I'm going for this setup is I want TMC. Its going to be a nightmare though as my car radio reception is awful. Its basically got a bent over aerial in the front wheel arch and can barely get normal stations, so its chances of getting TMC seem slim =/

On the plus side the car is fibreglass so the supplied TMC aerial might work ok in the car. I'm also tryign to find out about active aerials I can use for both the radio input and TMC. Not much info available and its confusing as they seem to be designed to go along the top of the windscreen. I don't see how that would work though as fm is broadcast vertically as far as I know, so how a horizontal aerial will be any use I can't fathom...

Whats the mount like thats included, also do you know if the bluetooth version comes with a hardwire cable to the pda? I've got a hp4700 so mostly going for navigon due to VGA support and TMC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: