Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 & PPC2003 SE - landscape mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 & PPC2003 SE - landscape mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woosydiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: TT3 & PPC2003 SE - landscape mode Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience/comments on using TT3 with a PDA using the latest Windows PPC2003 SE that supports landscape mode? I read on another thread that TT handles it OK but can anyone confirm this?

Any screen shots?

It seems to me to be a far more natural way of looking at things, just look at how widescreen TV's have taken off!

I'm considering buying a new PDA just for this reason so I need to get my facts right first.

(OK, so I should be looking at the road ahead & using the voice commands but this is the real world & a quick glance now & then has to be done right?)

Thanks

Woosydiver
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple things

- yes it works (well the GO works that way too), but I expect that only version 4 will support it completely
- in landscape mode you will have some input quirks because some of the icons will be covered by the keyboard that is filling more of the screen. Nothing dramatic
- you will need a different Pocket PC holder - swivel or similiar. The standard mounts assume portrait mode.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
JimM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really see the benefit of landscape mode myself, personally I like to see as much of the route ahead as possible on the screen which is ideal for portrait mode. Presumably all landscape mode will give you is more of the roads either side of the route which I'm not particularly interested in ! Or have I missed the point ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not missed the point at all, I thought I'd prefer portrait for exactly the same reasons but all the dedicated solutions adopt landscape and when I had the opportunity to test the Palm version which could use either I found myself preferring landcape!

I suspect it has a lot to do with TV's and how we have become use to their layout.

Last edited by Darren on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
woosydiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Landscape mode Reply with quote

Without screen shots I can't really comment too much but if you follow the reasoning behind the avalache of widescreen TV's (and how Cinema's display a picture), in the UK anyway, it shows that lanscape is a more natural "shape" for our eyes & brains. We have 2 eyes that are horizontally seperated & this shape becomes a rectangle (AKA landscape). So we feel more comfortable with a landscape view. That little landscape view on the screen then is very much a smaller view of what you can see ahead of you, even if you don't see quite as far into the distance. It's just easier to correlate the 2 views (PDA & the road ahead) if they are the same shape.

Having said that, if your actually at a fork junction then a lanscape view would surely show each road going off to each side ahead.

The bottom line is that I'd like to try it but want to be sure the s/w at least works to some extent before committing the ££'s (or $$'s).

BTW Lutz

Any screenshots, I don't quite understand your comments on the keyboard?

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting point with the eye placement.

Sorry, I should have said SIP (soft input panel), not keyboard. Basically the thingie that comes up when an edit control receives focus and the application expects your user input. Street names etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: