Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Monitron with a difference (M55)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitron with a difference (M55)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Monitron with a difference (M55) Reply with quote

Two of these have recently been installed on the M55 (Preston to Blackpool motorway) there is one in each direction approx half a mile prior to the Kirkham exit slip roads.
What is unusual is the electrical power is from a standby generator set and on the roof is a satellite dish, I can only assume this is for data transmission of pictures - or does anyone else know why the camera might need this? - it doesn't appear to be for satellite TV! - the LNB is the wrong type for a start, couldn't legally get any closer to take the photo though. - Mike

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Monitron with a difference (M55) Reply with quote

I thought these cameras used strips in the road - a lot of trouble to go to for a temp installation, surely? Very odd.

mikealder wrote:
What is unusual is the electrical power is from a standby generator set and on the roof is a satellite dish

How long before some very naughty person goes and kicks the dish over? Laughing Twisted Evil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are white stripes on both open lanes of the motorway similar to the Gatso markings employed elsewhere.

The East bound dish is still there, the West bound dish appears to have "gone missing" since yesterday! Unless they have removed it for a reason - Mike
peecee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be driving past here tomorrow so will keep my eye open for these, thanks mike.

Also I note they have closed off the Hard Shoulder. If this is purely to stop people pulling in near the camera then I think this is compeltely outrageous.

What if you suddenly break down or get a flat tyre, and need to pull in?

Of course if they are doing roadworks here then that's different but if the shoulder is coned off for camera only reasons then surely this should not be allowed?

Last January I had to pull into the very same stretch of hard shoulder when my engine decided it wanted to seize up..
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy, have you 'gone West'?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is... do we stick it in the database as a temporary or a mobile... i presume you've submitted it mike?

MaFt
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks more like what I would expect from a temporary camera than a mobile camera, but as long as it goes into the database, I'm not going to complain about the classification Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just submitted them as I wanted to verify the positions prior to sending them, which involved a quick run to Preston and back. They both have satellite dishes attached today.
I would agree that this is a temp camera, the roadworks are till March next year, the problem I have with Temp cameras is the lack of Speed related warning, unless you carve up the temp camera file download yourself - Mike
highwayman212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cones are probably there to show there is a hazard not to stop people in need from stopping. The position of the barrier is related to ADS Advance Direction Sign to stop it being hit in an emergency. This is a standard distance in front of the ADS with a standard flare to the ground. The position of the generator cabin compromises this so the cones will prob stay on to show the hazard a bit like they do when any contractor is leaving holes or equipment on the verge during repair.

What I don't understand is why the generator container is not placed after the sign, but within the length of barrier, with a small cable to just in front where the camera could be sat in relative safety. This would have obscured less of the sign and increased all our safety.

I suppose this is one of the down sides to them having to be visible as the safest place to be is for them to be after bridge abutments, road signs, telephone poles etc as this does not increase the hazard. Most councils are now trying to decrease the street furniture and reduce hazards.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the problem I have with Temp cameras is the lack of Speed related warning
The PGPSW Garmin format zoned speed camera file contains speed information for temp cameras Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the information is there, it just takes longer to update the unit, splitting the file and assigning warnings etc. Where files are no longer in use you have to remember to delete the categories from the the device - Mike
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Monitron with a difference (M55) Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What is unusual is the electrical power is from a standby generator set and on the roof is a satellite dish, I can only assume this is for data transmission of pictures - or does anyone else know why the camera might need this? -

You are correcty Mike. The dish is for satellite internet. Round here all this type of cam and the red-light version are connected up via ADSL. These cameras aren't near a phone line to get ADSL to upload the piccies.

Last summer there were temp cams on the M5 - I think in Devon - Once the truckers found out what the dishes were for they were often clipped by wing mirrors!

Not sure what the capacity of the hard drives are in these things but they were doing good business. Presumably if they cannot call home once they are full they wil continue to flash but not have any evidence saved.

Also these had a big emergency stop button on the generators but no one took advantage of that facility!

PS It is not unusual for the generators to power the temp m'way cameras
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
They both have satellite dishes attached today.

Looks like we will have to sent "The Boys" around again... Laughing Twisted Evil
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I know the information is there, it just takes longer to update the unit
You should go back to your Nuvi then - simple uploading the file with POI Loader and you'll get speed specific warnings, without further work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: