Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Location problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Location problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Location problem Reply with quote

One for @Leo_A

Figure this one out......

STA has been working perfectly since released.

I've been experimenting with automation on my phone. First attempt was to use IFTTT to turn on my garage power so I can enter the garage without having to exit the car. Unfortunately the IFTTT location feature is very slow and the power didn't come on till about 10 minutes after it should have done.

Whilst IFTTT testing STA was working perfectly.

I then spotted that Google Home has a 'Prescence' feature that can trigger 'Routines' when it senses you are near home.
I set it up and initial testing was promising.

However, since setting this up STA does not get a GPS fix when I'm out in the open, away from my home location.

On both my 30 mile journeys this weekend STA had no GPS fix for 99% of the journey. When I arrived I opened STA and it got a fix. Same when I got home, opened manually and it got a fix.

I've uninstalled Google Home and uninstalled and reinstalled STA. I don't know if it's fixed but STA is getting an instant fix and it's accuracy is far better.

If it is Google Home why would it steal STA location?

My other location apps, Arlo, Maps and Samsung all seemed to be OK.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install Google Home to reproduce your problem.
But I don't have smart devices to connect and I don't understand what to do further. I entered my home address, but nothing happens with STA, it continues to get location.

What is your Android version, could it be silently updated? Btw, OneUI 4.1 looks the same as OneUI 3.0. I understood that I really got Android 12 after manual update only when I looked phone settings - system info.

this https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=648041#648041
is also valid for current STA version (99).
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leo

I've not had an opportunity to test STA yet.

I've got a Samsung S10 running Anxroid 12.

The other thing I'm suspicious about is a setting on my tablet I set. I know my tablet is another device but I'm using the same Google account. I set my tablet, just a day or 2 earlier, to 'WiFi Only' as it's a WiFi only device. Could that setting have drifted across to the phone. I've since turned that setting off as well.

The behaviour of STA location seemed to work like the phone was WiFi only as when I was in range of a WiFi hot-spot at various built up areas on my route, it briefly found a fix.

Google Home is gone as I rarely used it and I've setup 2 Android home screen shortcuts to activate the garage doors at both ends of my weekend journey.

Very strange.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking through the threads and I noticed an Android 12 issue where it was not getting a location fix as posted by f1williams.

Thinking back, my phone was very recently updated with Android 12, very likely within the time frame of my post and my Geofencing tests.

So, maybe after Android 12 we have to uninstall and reinstall STA? Also, as I'm on the beta program has that version been updated?

I haven't been out since last weekend to test in the car but it was OK when I launched it whilst walking a few days ago, but I have reinstalled.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Thinking back, my phone was very recently updated with Android 12, very likely within the time frame of my post and my Geofencing tests.

Yes, android 12 update within this frame well explains the problems and symptoms you described. That's why I asked about version, it was my first thought because I remember you wrote about S10 earlier and these devices recently got 12.

Kremmen wrote:

So, maybe after Android 12 we have to uninstall and reinstall STA? Also, as I'm on the beta program has that version been updated?

No, just set "Google Play services" as the location provider in the app advanced settings and restart the app. Newly installed last version checks android version and sets proper location provider at the very first launch. But it can't track system updates.

Kremmen wrote:
I set my tablet, just a day or 2 earlier, to 'WiFi Only' as it's a WiFi only device. Could that setting have drifted across to the phone.

I've never seen that such purely device-individual settings drift across devices under the same account. I think this "drift by design" (of developers) is impossible.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leo

I'm now 99% sure this was a Android 12 issue.

As usual you were quickly on top of it Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation

CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
22.034 (27 Mar 24)

WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now

CamerAlert Apps

iOS QR Code

Android QR Code

© Terms & Privacy

GPS Shopping