Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Removes Yet Another Needed Feature
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Removes Yet Another Needed Feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Sygic Removes Yet Another Needed Feature Reply with quote

Recently Sygic Navigation on Android received a major update which enabled its use with Android Auto.

Unfortunately they have now removed the ability to import own sets of POI (rupi) and so for me it is now worthless.

To quote from the email I received from Sygic support about the import no longer functioning

Quote:
During the change from the previous app versions to the current modern one, some options or features were slightly changed and a few needed to be left out - for technical or other reasons.
Further changes or additions now that this new version was released, will be considered based on user feedback like yours.

We apologize that the option to import your own custom POIs is not currently present in the new Sygic app, but your interest in bringing back this option has been noted and will be submitted to the product managers.

On Android this was the only app (to my knowledge and I hope I am wrong) that allowed the display of speed cameras on the navigation screen while driving. I used to use it as my main navigation app while Speedtrap alert ran in the background, Sygic having removed proximity alerts years ago.

The compatibility/install table on the speed camera download page will need updating to reflect this change in Sygics stance and now I am unable to have icons for speed cameras and low bridges displayed on my navigation screen. I am currently going back to using Google Maps which can import poi sets as layers but again these do not display while driving.

I do not want to have to go back to my Garmin and having to carry an additional piece of hardware as I move from vehicle to vehicle (and having to run a background task on my phone to access traffic).

Can anyone suggest an android app which still imports/displays the necessary icons thanks.

Not happy
Rick
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, for me, I'm not too fussed about having a visual camera display. I find the verbal STA alerts quite adequate.

I do still run my Garmin DS61 with the icons but I never look at it for that, only the right side traffic bar.

I can see once Garmin ditches TA traffic and a short period of testing Smartlink, removing the unit and running Google Maps with STA in the background.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
AllanKnowles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Co-pilot which allows you to import your own POIs with no problems as well as displaying them and easier than converting them to RUPI files.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllanKnowles wrote:
I use Co-pilot which allows you to import your own POIs with no problems as well as displaying them and easier than converting them to RUPI files.

Thanks, just installed and having a play
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
AllanKnowles wrote:

Thanks, just installed and having a play

Installed and removed Smile I do not like having to create accounts etc just to try an app, they already have my Google details from the play store and the subscription price seemed quite steep.

I have downloaded a previous version of Sygic from apk mirror so have reverted to using this.

Thanks though
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
TBH, for me, I'm not too fussed about having a visual camera display. I find the verbal STA alerts quite adequate.

When driving and I spot a camera the visual icon will let me know if it missing from the database, needs a direction change or some other edit.

Each to their own though
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I spot a camera I've not been warned about or don't see a camera I have been warned about I remember where I am, roughly, and double check it from the dashcam footage.

I find STA via bluetooth quite OK.

As you say though, we all have our different approaches Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sygic Removes Yet Another Needed Feature Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
The compatibility/install table on the speed camera download page will need updating to reflect this change in Sygics stance

Thanks for the info - now updated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: