Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Garmin Zumo XT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin Zumo XT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCrewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: New Garmin Zumo XT Reply with quote

Having had a Zumo 595LM & Montana 600, I am familiar with the speed camera data base installation via POI loader.

I have loaded the data base on to my new Zumo XT & can see the files present on the unit, however I have not been able to get the unit to display the cameras whilst navigating or provide proximity alerts.

I believe that I have the relevant settings in place, I would appreciate comments from anybody that has it working on the Zumo XT.

Many thanks
Simon
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in the 'GARMINDEVICE.XML' on the unit, can you find a 'CustomPOI' section Question

It looks something like this :-

(I had to change the bracket types to get them to display here)

Code:
{DataType}
  {Name}CustomPOI{/Name}
-   {File}
-      {Specification}
         {Identifier}GPI0.0{/Identifier}
       {/Specification}
-      {Location}
         {Path}POI{/Path}
         {FileExtension}gpi{/FileExtension}
       {/Location}
       {TransferDirection}InputToUnit{/TransferDirection}
  {/File}
 {/DataType}

The above example, is from the Zumo 346, which does support them. The equivalent section is missing from the built-in Honda Civic app, which doesn't.

This should at least indicate if it ought to work.

(The speaker in my Zumo 346 has never worked - only the bluetooth. I take it you do have audio, from some source or other Wink )
SimonCrewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
thank you for the response, this type of thing is a little 'above my pay grade' but I can see custom POI in amongst the text. The speaker on the unit works fine & the bluetooth to my helmet comms.

I spoke to Garmin & I think they are not that familiar with the unit yet. I am a little surprised as the data base worked perfectly on my Zumo 595. I will give it some time as this unit only came out in March & something may change in the future.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like this site as you have a Zumo https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCrewe wrote:
...this type of thing is a little 'above my pay grade' but I can see custom POI in amongst the text.

(I should have mentioned, that ye-olde Internet Explorer is a good XML file viewer and formats them into something readable.)

I assumed the "CustomPOI section" must be there, because that's what POILoader looks for - but it's a good thing to have it confirmed.

There are a number of things I can think of that might be going on...

Back in 2007, the first support call I put into Garmin, was regarding my StreetPilot C510's propensity for crashing, if I went anywhere near a Netto supermarket Very Happy
It turned out, that the .BMP for the Netto icon was in a different format to the rest and the C510 couldn't cope!

Or, it could be that the audio associated with each alert isn't supported - back in the old days, they would support MP3 audio, but then there was a switch to .WAV (but a only a very particular flavour of .WAV). It could be that the requirement has changed again.

With that in mind, perhaps you could create a really simple Custom POI alert - and use the 'GPS simulator' to see how it is handled. Help is available, if required, for creating such a file. Smile

and he wrote:
I am a little surprised as the data base worked perfectly on my Zumo 595.

Given that the 595 is a close relative of my 346, have you had the bug whereby it repeats the last half a second of a camera alert - only stopping when it gets another audio instruction?
(As in, "Variable speed camera, north, north...north ...north ...north ...north ...north ...north ...north")

I particularly enjoy that, when it's a motorway camera and it's 10 miles to the next junction and an opportunity to sort it out! Rolling Eyes
SimonCrewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
SimonCrewe wrote:
...this type of thing is a little 'above my pay grade' but I can see custom POI in amongst the text.

(I should have mentioned, that ye-olde Internet Explorer is a good XML file viewer and formats them into something readable.)

I assumed the "CustomPOI section" must be there, because that's what POILoader looks for - but it's a good thing to have it confirmed.

There are a number of things I can think of that might be going on...

Back in 2007, the first support call I put into Garmin, was regarding my StreetPilot C510's propensity for crashing, if I went anywhere near a Netto supermarket Very Happy
It turned out, that the .BMP for the Netto icon was in a different format to the rest and the C510 couldn't cope!

Or, it could be that the audio associated with each alert isn't supported - back in the old days, they would support MP3 audio, but then there was a switch to .WAV (but a only a very particular flavour of .WAV). It could be that the requirement has changed again.

With that in mind, perhaps you could create a really simple Custom POI alert - and use the 'GPS simulator' to see how it is handled. Help is available, if required, for creating such a file. Smile

and he wrote:
I am a little surprised as the data base worked perfectly on my Zumo 595.

Given that the 595 is a close relative of my 346, have you had the bug whereby it repeats the last half a second of a camera alert - only stopping when it gets another audio instruction?
(As in, "Variable speed camera, north, north...north ...north ...north ...north ...north ...north ...north")

I particularly enjoy that, when it's a motorway camera and it's 10 miles to the next junction and an opportunity to sort it out! Rolling Eyes

Thanks again, I will look into that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: