Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK Pubs & Takeaways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Pubs & Takeaways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwimaging
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: UK Pubs & Takeaways Reply with quote

What I'd LOVE to have is a POI of uk pubs & takeaways, so that when I'm out & about in the UK (which is often) I can look for a chinese or an indian, or even a local pub!

Any ideas where I can get this?

Thanks
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't point you in the direction of a pre-created POI file, but I did some research on the web and came up with the useful websites Take Aways U Like and Pubs U Like so if you fancied making one yourself (or if anyone else wanted to have a go,) these might be good places to start.

Unfortunately, with over 48, 000 pubs listed on the pub website and loads of takeaway outlets listed too, I do not have time to commit myself to this one! Rolling Eyes

Idea Just a thought... Maybe if enough people were interested in having this type of POI file, they could each put some time in and arrange to each do an area on the map and then pool all the results together to make one all-encompassing POI overlay? The "POI Club!!" Mr. Green

Bo Peep.
Andy_Hill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we then?

I'm up for it.
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quicker way would be create a program to spider the website and convert the postcodes to longitude/latitude. Someone has made a postcode -> location plug-in for TT3, I suppose you could use that database if he was willing to provide it or use streetmap:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?name=OX6%207AN&type=postcode

I've done this for wifi hotspots, while the position might not be exact it's the only practical solution as far as I can tell when you have thousands of locations.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use the orange wap on my phone and key in the details into the ipaq.
they have lots of stuff listed and it knows where you are.
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded to PocketGPS a list of High Quality pubs for Central England for submission as a POI for everyone. I will be working on the rest of the UK as well. These POIs have the name of the pub, the Town or Village and the Tel Number for each.

These pubs are based on a very good website called "The Guide to the Best Dining Pubs and Inns in England, Scotland and Wales" (www.diningpubs.co.uk). They have no connections with any major pub chain and are totally independent. I have started with Premier Pubs and will then work on Dining Pubs, which are good pubs as well.
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:

Idea Just a thought... Maybe if enough people were interested in having this type of POI file, they could each put some time in and arrange to each do an area on the map and then pool all the results together to make one all-encompassing POI overlay? The "POI Club!!" Mr. Green

Yes, I've been thinking along those lines with a view to doing a Car Parks POI overlay - I guess it's a question of someone being prepared to oversee it and tie it all together - volunteers anyone ? Wink

John
Beefy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now uploaded 535 High Quality pubs that cover England to the PIO Handler Site these are free for download. All you have to do is a free registration. I will adding Scotland, Wales and Ireland to this list as well. The POI information includes the Pub name, The village that it is in and the telephone number.

I did try to send a cut down version of this to Pocket GPS but this doesn't seem to have been posted. Confused

I am very happy for POI Sync to have this list.
This list is primarily based on the information at www.diningpubs.co.uk. The pubs and inns in this guide have been specially selected for the quality of their ales, food, their service, and value for money. Many of these are also of historical interest. This is not a full listing of the pubs detailed, but the Premier Status pubs and others that have been selected as of a high quality.

The aim of this is now to grow this list with others of similar quality for everyone to enjoy. Cheers!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, can you mail me the list at dave_at_pocketgpsworld.com
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: UK Pubs & Takeaways Reply with quote

jwimaging wrote:
What I'd LOVE to have is a POI of uk pubs & takeaways, so that when I'm out & about in the UK (which is often) I can look for a chinese or an indian, or even a local pub!

Any ideas where I can get this?

Thanks

Why not try here

http://www.poihandler.com/index.html

You can even get "Sushi"

Plus there's loads more POI's

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: