Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedtrap Alert for Android (Split from CamerAlert Thread re
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedtrap Alert for Android (Split from CamerAlert Thread re
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
As it stands it's a manual download then use the + option to search and add the new .txt file, then set the slider to off on the old one or remove it.

That's what I did Very Happy . I have loaded it to my S8 to see how it performs tomorrow. If it does (roughly) what i want, I will swap my sim over to my S10 and away we go (hopefully Very Happy)
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating database:

Once zip file was loaded into the app (current is pgpsw-speed-cams-XXXX-(17-122).zip), there are two options for further update:

1) Simply delete existing file from the list, there are "3-dots" icon-button at the right of each file in the database list, this icon-button opens context menu, and there are "Remove" command. Then load newly downloaded zip (its name will be different next time when new DB version is ready) as usual using the "+" command at the top-right.

2) Don't delete existing file, tap the "3-dots" icon-button, there are a command "File", this command opens standard android file-picker (as the "+"), select newly downloaded zip, the app will overwrite old version with new one.

There are "rounded-arrow" icon button, it updates only databases downloaded by direct URL, or those from GDrive having constant name from version to version. Don't use it, it will not work.

Last edited by Leo_A on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thumbs Up
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo_A wrote:

Thank you a lot. Almost perfect, except several SPECS point which are not marked in the database as 'start'/'mid'/'end', although they are chained in continuous av.check zone, and therefore they go to the file as type 4. For example, SPECS:81859@50

That's correct - some of the really old SPECS don't have the STAR/MID/END data hence they are added as Type=4
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Leo_A wrote:

Thank you a lot. Almost perfect, except several SPECS point which are not marked in the database as 'start'/'mid'/'end', although they are chained in continuous av.check zone, and therefore they go to the file as type 4. For example, SPECS:81859@50

That's correct - some of the really old SPECS don't have the STAR/MID/END data hence they are added as Type=4

One more question:
SPECS:89251@50 (Temp)
is marked as End.
Yes, it is really the end for those exiting motorway, but for GPS apps, as far as I understand the concept of "dummy ends", it should be 'middle' with the dummy somewhere on A1306 road after the junction with motorway. Am I right?

At this point any GPS app will break av. check and continue it at SPECS:88910@50 (Temp) which stands on motorway entry.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The exit specs is just after you leave the roundabout on to the straight bit of the 1306.
My gut feeling is that 89251 is incorrectly marked as an end cam.
It's quite difficult to keep up with the roadworks as they move along the stretch of road.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo_A wrote:
Updating database:

Once zip file was loaded into the app (current is pgpsw-speed-cams-XXXX-(17-122).zip), there are two options for further update:

2) Don't delete existing file, tap the "3-dots" icon-button, there are a command "File", this command opens standard android file-picker (as the "+"), select newly downloaded zip, the app will overwrite old version with new one.

Must try that Thursday morning. Overwrite sounds best.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I have missed a setting it doesn 't do what I was hoping. Through the M1 specs zone, the banner came up, then went away. I was hoping for a CA thing where the average is displayed constantly through the zone as that is why I use CA predominantly for.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
I was hoping for a CA thing where the average is displayed constantly through the zone as that is why I use CA predominantly for.

That is what it should do (and does for me with somr dummy specs that I have created near my location.
If yours doesn't, I suspect that there might be an incorrectly located end SPECS in the mix somewhere.
Where exactly on the M1 does this happen so that it can be investigated?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Speedo display and that seems to work OK.

Next Specs test run tomorrow morning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Unless I have missed a setting it doesn 't do what I was hoping. Through the M1 specs zone, the banner came up, then went away. I was hoping for a CA thing where the average is displayed constantly through the zone as that is why I use CA predominantly for.

Navigate to the app settings, then advanced settings, then average speed check. Make sure that "full control" is selected, "treat igo type 4..." is checked too.

Optionally, remove currently installed database, download new one (now it is "speedtrap alert" in the drop-down list )

Banner must stay while you're moving through the av. zone.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo_A wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Leo_A wrote:

One more question:
SPECS:89251@50 (Temp)
is marked as End.
Yes, it is really the end for those exiting motorway, but for GPS apps, as far as I understand the concept of "dummy ends", it should be 'middle' with the dummy somewhere on A1306 road after the junction with motorway. Am I right?

At this point any GPS app will break av. check and continue it at SPECS:88910@50 (Temp) which stands on motorway entry.

For the sake of 100-200m of not having an average check this is just simpler. A driver will hit the END cam - averaging will stop. Shortly after averaging will start again as they hit the START camera on the other side of the junction.

The other option is to mark them both as MIDDLE and create a dummy EXITSPECS (which only CamerAlert uses anyway).

In this instance the END / START works as needed. And will work correctly with Speedtrap Alert.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo_A wrote:
Navigate to the app settings, then advanced settings, then average speed check. Make sure that "full control" is selected, "treat igo type 4..." is checked too..

Thanks. I have the new STA database, but the other settings weren't checked. Will see how it works now on the way home.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point we need to compare notes.

There are so many settings, not all of them obvious as to what they do Confused
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Leo_A
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
There are so many settings, not all of them obvious as to what they do Confused

Some settings will be changed in nearest app update:
"Time to camera" slider instead of yards and new tolerance adjustments, making possible to set +X mph & +Y% or +X kph up to Y kph and +Z% thereafter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 5 of 41

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation

CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
22.044 (24 Apr 24)

WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now

CamerAlert Apps

iOS QR Code

Android QR Code

© Terms & Privacy

GPS Shopping