Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mirror dashcam, image for LHD cars
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mirror dashcam, image for LHD cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Mirror dashcam, image for LHD cars Reply with quote

My Mum has a rear view mounted dashcam in her car, I believe it is a Co-Pilot. I noticed that the image is on the right hand side of the mirror, which would be suitable for a left hand drive car. My Mum says she doesn't like it on at night because she can't see out the back. I would have thought there would be an option to move the display from one side to the other, or is that just wishful thinking that would put the cost up substantially? So my next question would be, can you get mirror dashcams with the image on the left?

Mark
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was legal to have any screen display on any dash cam whilst the car was moving?

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine got one of those cheapies. You could not switch off the display when it was recording and the display was on the LH side of the mirror. It went back during the pre fitting testing phase. Garbage!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
I didn't think it was legal to have any screen display on any dash cam whilst the car was moving?

Is there ANY dashcam which doesn't display whilst driving? Every one I've seen is pretty much a video camera recording and displaying when it's switched on.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence.

The key thing here is 'if the driver can see it', mine is the other side of my mirror so I can't Wink

Here's Roadhawk's advice on placement https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/articles/product-placement-is-your-dash-cam-breaking-the-law
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
pcaouolte wrote:

Is there ANY dashcam which doesn't display whilst driving? Every one I've seen is pretty much a video camera recording and displaying when it's switched on.
Yes of course there is . HERE'S AN NEXAMPLE that doesnt even have a display. I suspect that you can switch the video off the display on most of them to comply with the laws mentioned above. I know that you can on Nextbase devices.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

In which case millions of vans on the road without rearview mirrors as they can't see out the back... Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my third dashcam and I've never heard anything about viewing the screen. So now I've RTFMed and I find this....

Video playback upon the device which is visible to the driver is prohibited or restricted in some countries or States. Please adhere to these laws.

Now I'm banking on the interpretation of "video playback" as playing back video (e.g. that film 0n Netflix MaFt was on about the other day) as opposed to the live view as we toddle along. I never look at it, but in the perifery of my vision I can sense that it's still running, but can't really tell what it's filming. TBH, I can't ever remember even looking at it to see if it's still running. Is that asking for you all to tell me to turn the display off because I won't notice its absence?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
In which case millions of vans on the road without rearview mirrors as they can't see out the back... Wink

Give over! That's what wing mirrors are for. Back in the good old days, we had to have a (very fit) man in front with a red flag, and rear view mirrors on both the window frames or the front mudguards.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I've read the stuff sussamb linked to and now I've dug out my 512GW box to get the sticky thing which will go behind my rearview mirror where the sucky thing won't suck because of dot things. If that doesn't hide the screen, I'll turn it off - looks like it's a case of turn off every time I get in because the button to turn off display only works in video mode (unless it stays buttoned when powered off). There isn't a sticky thing in the other (312GW) box.

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dash cams allow you to select a time delay that will blank the display after your start the car. This can usually be set to only a few seconds. This allows the user to select menu options before driving away but blanks the screen whilst driving. Driver aids like a sat nav or an information display on the cars dashboard are permitted. Dash cams playing images are not permitted if the driver can see the screen.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's called a screen saver by some manufacturers.
@DennisN. I suspect the reason that you don't have the time to look at your dashcam is that a lot of it is taken up looking out through the front window and at your three or four TomTom devices.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Nextbase and Viofo dashcams have had a screensaver timeout.

I thought they came with a default time when the screen goes black anyway.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M8TJT I don’t watch or look at my dashcam for the simple reason that it doesn’t do anything for my driving and is too small to be of any use. Just now I only have two TomToms, built in Renault R-Link TomTom and GO6200. Between them they have not yet managed to get me lost - sometimes I fool them! I have prospects of a GO910, so we shall see.

I’ve stuck the sticky thing on my dots, so now the Nextbase is almost completely hidden by the rearview mirror - all I can see is half the writing on the bottom edge, so I don’t think I need to RTFM again looking for screensaver.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing to be aware of is that running a screen permanently can cause overheating which in turn turns the device off.

Seen quite a few issues posted on the Nextbase forum about this.

Some models allow the screensaver to be your GPS speed but that can be enough to overheat. Trev will know the reason why.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: