Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ? Reply with quote

I’m considering buying the above after years of my TomTom One XL that I can no longer rely on.

Before I buy I can’t find the above model on the PWGPS compatibility listing as it uses Cyclops (strange name) and is subscription only.

I can set my Motorhome sizes on the GC but want to continue using this site for speed cameras (if I can).

I have read about Garmin POILoader, but not sure if I can download, and I also want to set yardage like on TomTom for early warnings as I like plenty of notice before hitting a camera zone.

Can anybody advise/help please

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use the PGPSW on the Garmin, but to be able to set 'yardage' etc you will need to use Kremmen's CSV to GPX converter before you run POILoader to put the database on your Garmin.

You don't actually set 'yardage' but time to camera that will give you (say) 15 seconds to run, regardless of your speed (Much better that a fixed distance).
Also with Kremmens download, you get nice icons and spoken alerts.
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Yes, you can use the PGPSW on the Garmin, but to be able to set 'yardage' etc you will need to use Kremmen's CSV to GPX converter before you run POILoader to put the database on your Garmin.

You don't actually set 'yardage' but time to camera that will give you (say) 15 seconds to run, regardless of your speed (Much better that a fixed distance).
Also with Kremmens download, you get nice icons and spoken alerts.
Thanks for this. I’ve had a read and there is 66 pages under Kremmens.

Is there a “walk through” on how to do it all as numerous “sticky’s” only appear to cover part of the process.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you missed this https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=97158 .
.. it's the spoon fed guide
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the bog standard suss.
There is a vast load of help in Kremmen's download. A fully loaded 'How to'.
Download it and extract the help file in your preferred format.
The latest version is always downloaded from page 1 of THIS thread.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But that's the bog standard suss.

True, but best to get the basics sorted then move on ...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some merit in that suss, but OP seems to want the bells and whistles of K's converter.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ? Reply with quote

Hi nearly50,

nearly50 wrote:
I can set my Motorhome sizes on the GC but want to continue using this site for speed cameras (if I can).

In my experience as a TomTom user, the Garmin will route slightly differently than what you may expect. Also, the Garmin Traffic is not as accurate, quick, or covers the minor roads as well as TomTom Traffic.

I have driven narrow lanes in Cornwall, Yorkshire, and Jersey (Channel Islands). I bought a Garmin Camper because I could change the vehicle dimensions (in order to affect routing) but I have found very little difference. I suspect that the narrow roads in Garmin's map don't have width/weight attributes, therefore, the Garmin Camper ignores the vehicle dimensions.

If you don't already have a smartphone (Android or iPhone) then I recommend that you get one, even a cheap supermarket PAYG one so that you can use CamerAlert app for the PocktGPSWorld camera database.

I have heard great praise (and rightly so) for Kremmen's Garmin POILoader. I haven't tried it on my Garmin Camper yet as I have a Mac computer and Mac Excel doesn't run POILoader.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ? Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi nearly50,

nearly50 wrote:

In my experience as a TomTom user, the Garmin will route slightly differently than what you may expect. Also, the Garmin Traffic is not as accurate, quick, or covers the minor roads as well as TomTom Traffic.

I have driven narrow lanes in Cornwall, Yorkshire, and Jersey (Channel Islands). I bought a Garmin Camper because I could change the vehicle dimensions (in order to affect routing) but I have found very little difference. I suspect that the narrow roads in Garmin's map don't have width/weight attributes, therefore, the Garmin Camper ignores the vehicle dimensions.

If you don't already have a smartphone (Android or iPhone) then I recommend that you get one, even a cheap supermarket PAYG one so that you can use CamerAlert app for the PocktGPSWorld camera database.

I have heard great praise (and rightly so) for Kremmen's Garmin POILoader. I haven't tried it on my Garmin Camper yet as I have a Mac computer and Mac Excel doesn't run POILoader.

Regards,
Thanks Robert, I didn’t know this existed. My recent trip in the motorhome I used my iPad mini using Google maps which was pretty decent and a nice big screen (unlike my old TT One XL).

Can this App run within google maps? Also, as a lifetime membership does this allow me to use this on this App?

Regards

N51
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ? Reply with quote

nearly50 wrote:
Can this App run within google maps?
Not directly "within Google maps". CamerAlert is a stand alone app, but it will run in the background and alert "over" Google maps or any other apps that you are running (not necessarily nav apps)
Quote:
Also, as a lifetime membership does this allow me to use this on this App?
Yes. The app download is free. It's only the database that has to be paid for, but as you are a "lifer" the payment is taken care of by that.
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can I still download for Garmin Camper LMT-D 780 ? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
nearly50 wrote:
Can this App run within google maps?
Not directly "within Google maps". CamerAlert is a stand alone app, but it will run in the background and alert "over" Google maps or any other apps that you are running (not necessarily nav apps)
Quote:
Also, as a lifetime membership does this allow me to use this on this App?
Yes. The app download is free. It's only the database that has to be paid for, but as you are a "lifer" the payment is taken care of by that.
Thanks for that. I am going to give this a whirl running in the background of my mini iPad then, and try this when I next go away, before considering shelling out £300+ on a new Garmin.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nearly50,

I know that you've now tried CamerAlert and are trying to get it to work on an iPad in the "Camera Alert crashing on opening on mini ipad4 wifi&4g" topic.

Do you use custom POIs that either you or a third party has created? If you do, then have you tried the POIViewer app? I've used it on an iPhone and it can apparently be used on an iPad as well. It does cost £3.99 but it's a fantastic POI manager for most SatNav iOS apps.

POIViewer can import POI categories and create its own. You find the POI in POIViewer and then ask it to launch your SatNav app of choice with that POI as the destination. It works on Google maps and also TomTom GO for iOS.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I’m totally flummoxed now.

The Camera Alert looked a cracking solution but it won’t work on my mini ipad4.

If I end up buying a Garmin, I just cannot get my head around how Kremmens programme works so that you can set the timings.

Am I correct in saying the Garmin POILoader warnings are a preset distance?

If so, what are all the cameras distances set at.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to fret about Kremmen's program - it's bullet proof and easy to use, and hundreds / perhaps thousands of people use it all the time.

There's a comprehensive set-up and use guide in the package.
The program is free, so you could even download it now and check it out
(follow M8TJT's link above and see the Help file, as he said).

The standard Garmin warnings have several defects, which Kremmen's program avoids. In particular the standard Garmin warnings come too early - Kremmen allows you to set your own timings in a flexible way of your own preference.

(PS the PGPSW camera warnings are installed on the Garmin device using PoILoader, whether you use Kremmen's program or not).

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: