Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing a route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing a route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Importing a route Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions about route planning:-

1) Can a route be created in something like Myroute-app, saved as a .gpx file and then imported into a Garmin sat nav, e.g., a Driveluxe LMT-D?

2) If the answer to question 1 is yes and the start of the route is not where you are currently located, how does the route appear on the sat nav?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if the gpx file is valid and like any route if you're not at the start then you'll get directions to it ... but ... and it's a big but ... whether a Garmin or indeed any device will follow the exact route is doubtful, as it will have been created on a different map with different routing algorithms.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Yes if the gpx file is valid and like any route if you're not at the start then you'll get directions to it ... but ... and it's a big but ... whether a Garmin or indeed any device will follow the exact route is doubtful, as it will have been created on a different map with different routing algorithms.

Myroute-App does have different maps available, including Here maps, which I understand are the ones used by Garmin. Would that be likely to resolve the problem of not follwoing the exact route do you think?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really predict that, best you could do is try it and see. I use Garmin BaseCamp to avoid those sorts of potential issues.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a route Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
1) Can a route be created in something like Myroute-app, saved as a .gpx file and then imported into a Garmin sat nav, e.g., a Driveluxe LMT-D?

In the past, not all automotive models were capable of importing a route, but I think they've now (probably) all acquired the Trip Planner "app" which allows this.

However, I'm betting that most will still then recalculate the route, using whichever algorithm you have selected on the unit (Fastest time, shortest distance etc).

So if your aim is to travel via specific places, you should be able to achieve that. However, the route (i.e. actual roads) between your specific places is likely to be decided by the satnav.

In the past, only the Zumo range (and oddballs such as the Nuvi 7xx range) would implement the route as-is. The Zumo definitely still does it. Can anyone shed any light as to the current state-of-play, regarding other units?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use Mappoint 2013 for just this.

Yes, the mapping is old but the 'rubber banding', as Suss calls it, works far better. The last time I tried this in Basecamp it kept producing loops taking me back to where I was trying to avoid instead of rerouting.

Once created, Mappoint can create a GPX that works on the Garmin.

I find this perfect for seeing the traffic for the whole of 'my' route.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a route Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:

In the past, only the Zumo range (and oddballs such as the Nuvi 7xx range) would implement the route as-is. The Zumo definitely still does it. Can anyone shed any light as to the current state-of-play, regarding other units?

All current Garmin devices have the trip planner app AFAIK. As you say, a gpx route imported should visit any hard viapoints but the route between them may not match, but you can always add additional points on the Garmin if necessary.
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I can't really predict that, best you could do is try it and see. I use Garmin BaseCamp to avoid those sorts of potential issues.

Likewise. Basecamp has its foibles but is !00% compatible!
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cottonsocks wrote:
Myroute-App does have different maps available, including Here maps, which I understand are the ones used by Garmin. Would that be likely to resolve the problem of not follwoing the exact route do you think?
Garmin may well use Here mapping but the latest Garmin UK is nowhere near as up to date as Here from some time ago.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Garmin are generally a few months behind as that's how long it takes to prepare, codify, check etc the Here map but that should be all, what do you mean by some time ago?

Where I know things have changed they've always been in the following map update, and in a couple of cases in advance of roads being opened!
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Garmin may well use Here mapping but the latest Garmin UK is nowhere near as up to date as Here from some time ago.

I beg to differ! I have made a number of changes to local roads in Here's Map Creator and they have appeared on the Garmin maps at the next update. (One was a road which was marked, incorrectly, as unpaved and the other was a highways change to block a left turn- to prevent the road being used as a rat-run.

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 new roads I reported to Garmin just after 2020.10 came out. One has been changed over 2 years and was on Here mapping at least a year ago and the other changed this May and is on Here maps.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression from the above posts that if map errors or changes are reported they are acted on.

So any long standing errors may not have been reported ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: