Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Drivesmart 65 - Trip Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Drivesmart 65 - Trip Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Drivesmart 65 - Trip Planning Reply with quote

I've an upcoming road trip and am trying to get an idea of the best way of utlising my Garmin to navigate along the routes I want.

I use Google's MyMaps to plan the route including way points, then save as a KMZ file. I then import this file into BaseCamp and get it to calculate the route which I can then send to my Garmin device.

Is the best way of going about this? I like MyMaps because it's nice and easy and I find BasceCamp a bit obtuse and clunky.
Another huge problem I have is if I deviate from the route, the unit will silently recalculate and give me the fastest route as opposed to following the scenic route I've designed. Is there a way to get it to prompt before recalculating?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last question first, no, there isn't a way to warn you it's recalculating.

While you find BaseCamp 'clunky' it really is the best way to send routes to your device, but perhaps you're not taking the easy way with it. To create a route try entering a start and end point, then let BC calculate the route. Now simply 'rubber band' it to make it go the way you want. You can also add viapoints to it should you wish to, or start with them included. To do so, having created them, select the points in the bottom left hand pane in the order you want them on the route using Ctrl + click, then right click the selection and select Create route from selected waypoints. Then rubber band if necessary. It's very quick that way to create a route.

Using MyMaps and importing into BC will never be as efficient and is likely to lead to surprise results while you're navigating, particularly as you've found if you deviate from the route. That won't happen if you use BC, it will faithfully follow the route from viapoint to viapoint at the very least.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed and helpful reply. I'll give that a shot.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again sussamb, I'm now much more confident about using Basecamp.

I did find this YouTube video an excellent introduction.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: