Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help me choose replacement please - 2599 LMT-D dead!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me choose replacement please - 2599 LMT-D dead!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Help me choose replacement please - 2599 LMT-D dead! Reply with quote

Hi, my 4 yr old Nuvi 2599-LMT-D has just died on me, it was working yesterday and today it's showing no sign of life at all. It won't switch on and the screen remains black. I always use it plugged in to the car 12v charger. Tried a reboot by holding the button for a minute or so but no dice. I read that the battery forms part of the internal charging circuit and if that goes you're basically stuffed. I may just speculate on a replacement battery but if that fails I'm looking at a new unit. Four years is a long time and I'm frankly baffled by the plethora of models on offer. I do want live traffic but I don't want a smartphone traffic link so am I looking at anything with 'LMT-D' in the description? Lifetime maps is essential. What's the current equivalent of the 2599? What would you recommend, and are there any good deals on offer at the moment?
The Nuvi has been excellent notwithstanding the tendency to direct me up the narrowest of single track roads from time to time.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from my 2508 to a DriveSmart 50 LMT-D. If you can find one I am very happy with mine Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read try and get either the above or a 51/61

There is uncertainty around the latest units and the length of time of free map upgrades. It is suspected the latest units removal of the 'L' in the model name is suspicious.

Also, watch out for the recent move to '-S' units that need to link to your phone to get traffic, which is deemed to be viaMichelin which is often not as good as Inrix via the cable in a '-D' unit.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
JoeGriffin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help me choose replacement please - 2599 LMT-D dead! Reply with quote

jhiker wrote:
What's the current equivalent of the 2599? What would you recommend, and are there any good deals on offer at the moment?

Curry is are doing the 51 LMT-D with full Europe (and hence voice command) for £147, including a case. I've just got one. Faster satellite lock than my 2599.

Garmin Montana 600
Garmin DriveSmart 51LMT-D
Garmin Nuvi 2599LMT-D
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a DS61 LMT-D {Click}. Lovely 7 inch screen in what is normally a 6 inch box because of the edge to edge screen.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Drivesmart 51 LMT-D Europe. Currently £147 in Currys Very Happy
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:

There is uncertainty around the latest units and the length of time of free map upgrades. It is suspected the latest units removal of the 'L' in the model name is suspicious.

Especially as Garmin wouldn't reply to my question on Facebook or email with regards the longevity of a MT-D unit I was looking at. Would have preferred the bigger screen, but not prepared to lose my lifetime free upgrades.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: