Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another GPS Y2K Problem Is Imminent
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another GPS Y2K Problem Is Imminent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Another GPS Y2K Problem Is Imminent Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Make a note of April 6th in your diary, on that date it's feared that many older GPS systems may stop working as yet another hard-coded date bug is triggered. The first such issue affecting GPS occurred on Aug 21, 1999.

Like the Y2K bug that caused a great deal of worry (but thankfully few issues), this one is caused by the exact same issue, a hard-coded 10-digit timestamp that will rollover on April 6th. When that happens, some older systems may be unable to calculate a positional fix.

The problem, like all these data bug problems, originates in the way that devices calculate time. Starting with the date of January 6, 1980, GPS devices count weeks using a 10-bit number field hard-coded into the software. With two to the tenth power being 1,024, that means that GPS devices with a 10-bit number field can count up to 19.7 years which was Aug 21, 1999 when calculated from January 1980. On that date, most GPS devices started counting from zero again without issue but some didn't. Now another 19.7 years has passed and the issue rears its head one again.

It should only affect old devices, certainly those manufactured since 2010 have used a system that won't roll over for more than 157 years, but if you have and still use an older GPS and it stops working this is why.

The U.S. Naval Observatory released a FAQ to forewarn of this issue in 2017 which is available here.

Source: gps.gov

email icon

PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Y2K bug was real Reply with quote

It's surprising how many people still say to me the whole Y2K thing was overhyped.

Sure, almost no real problems were widely reported, but that's because companies spent many millions checking systems where failure would be a serious problem and fixed the issues before the change of century. I worked in some such companies at the time and saw first hand just how much effort went into this.

In 1995 I actually discovered a real problem on a pocket electronic organiser, which, when syncing with a PC, changed all entries to the current century - I had noticed that a reminder to renew my passport in 2005 had suddenly become a reminder for 1905 - not much help. When I reported it to the manufacturer's (Casio) help line, at first I was met with disbelief - until I sent some detailed notes at which point their technical support guy sounded a bit more panicky. He later asked me to test an updated version of the sync software (via a floppy disk in the post!), and their workaround did the trick.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also involved with fixing the Y2K problem before it hit.

The solution was easy once analysed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
datostar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Renault Carminat TomTom Reply with quote

My 2010 Renault Megane has the built-in TomTom Carminat SatNav, which fortunately uses an SD card for software and firmware updates along with the map data. TomTom recently advised individual registered users of this forthcoming problem and have provided new firmware for download to the card via the TomTom Home computer app. Bit of an involved procedure but I've now got it updated so should be OK come April. Might be more of a problem for vehicles with other systems not so accessible for updating.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: