Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Variable Speed Cameras om Motorways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Variable Speed Cameras om Motorways
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

If the NIP says 71mph then they are saying that their speed readings are 98.6% accurate (1mph is 1.6% of the 70 speed limit so to prosecute at 71mph they are confirming it is accurate to that sort of speed difference).

Are they though? Maybe they've already allowed for the tolerance so let's say they allow 5mph, car was clocked at 76 so NIP says 71 Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
MaFt wrote:

If the NIP says 71mph then they are saying that their speed readings are 98.6% accurate (1mph is 1.6% of the 70 speed limit so to prosecute at 71mph they are confirming it is accurate to that sort of speed difference).

Are they though? Maybe they've already allowed for the tolerance so let's say they allow 5mph, car was clocked at 76 so NIP says 71 Confused

To me that would be providing faked evidence? Or, at best, tampered?

If that's what they were doing then I would have thought they would simply say "over the speed limit" as that's still factual, just without detail.

For the record: I'm not condoning speeding, just pointing out that while we, as drivers, have to follow certain rules, so do councils etc. I'm genuinely intrigued as to how accurate the cameras are.

If a real, actual human copper clocked me at 71 I'd hope that they would have the sense to say "well, no one was at risk, it's only a tiny bit over - could just be human error for that split second then they went back to 70 so I won't prosecute it". If an automated system clocked me at 71 then I'd like to be 100% sure they were correct and accurate before handing over a hundred quid.

The 10% + 2 guideline was, in my opinion, not just to cover the fact that speedo's don't always read accurately but that a real life copper would generally give some leeway before charging someone with speeding.

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For at least a decade now:

Quote:
The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes.

A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.

So, as I see it, if you're doing say 71 then your speedo is reading at least 71, more than likely a bit more, so they are using that as 'we both know you were speeding'. As I said, I know my Honda is over calibrated by 6%, if I was doing a true 71 then my speedo would be reading just over 75.

What would be interesting would be someone nabbed at 71, 72, 73 who had a DashCam running with a GPS speed readout.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
So, as I see it, if you're doing say 71 then your speedo is reading at least 71, more than likely a bit more, so they are using that as 'we both know you were speeding'. As I said, I know my Honda is over calibrated by 6%, if I was doing a true 71 then my speedo would be reading just over 75.

True, but that's not always easy to see on an analogue speedo with relatively thick lines and no individual 1mph marks. You'd need to be staring at your speedo constantly to make sure you don't go the slightest bit over 70 - that then becomes dangerous. Probably more dangerous than doing 71-72 mph.

Personally I just stick my cruise control at 65mph (actual about 61) and get much better fuel economy and it doesn't add much time to the journey Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same.

On my way along the M23 near Gatwick, a few weeks ago, through the roadworks, I set my CC to read 50 on both my Garmin and CA.

I was crawling past everyone else who presumably were going by their car speedos.

No NIP yet and this was the 7th Sep.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would tyre wear not have an effect on speedo accuracy as a new tyre would do less revolutions over a given distance than a worn one.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. But if you do some calculations on rolling radius etc. of new v worn out tyres, you will find the difference is negligible. As the tyres wear, the speedo will read faster so you will be going even slower on worn tyres than the speedo reads.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a very worn tyre would increase the Speedo display by around 2% (or 1 mph at 50 mph, so quite insignificant really).
[Obviously the GPS displayed speed would be unchanged].

Say the new tyre diameter is around 650mm (this doesn't have to be exact). Then 6mm of tread wear on both top and bottom would take the diameter down to 638mm.

That's a 2% shift in diameter - and diameter is directly proportional to circumference. So the tyre would rev 2% faster and so would the speedo (if driven off the gearbox).

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: