Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 620 or 6200
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 620 or 6200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lincol
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: TT 620 or 6200 Reply with quote

Just trying to decide if it is worth paying the difference between the 620 & 6200. The only difference appears to be the traffic update method. The 6200 has its own SIM card and the 620 updates traffic via a smartphone. I appreciate the 620 will use data on my phone and incur charges. I know that the TT traffic is far better than Garmin's and I know the 6200 traffic is very good but I have no experience of how good TT traffic is via smartphone.
Any help or experience of this would be appreciated.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for my benefit - how is TT traffic better than Garmin ?

My Garmin digital traffic (Inrix) has been very accurate each time I've used it.
However ... Garmin traffic via the Smartphone link system is from viaMichelin and that is extremely suspect. I can vouch for that from personal experience.

Just as an aside:
Many years ago there were loads of posts here about TT traffic limiting it's info to originally 50 miles, then, after complaints to 100 miles.
The argument at the time was that if you were on a long journey that had a few possible routes then traffic (roadworks) near the other end wouldn't be shown until you were closer and had commited to that route.

I know on my Garmin if I plot a long route it shows me the traffic for its entirity.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT traffic is indeed very good these days, to the extent that even I tend to trust it quite a bit. BUT as you say, is limited in distance, I think it's 120km. This picture shows that from here (near Bristol) I don't quite get London, Birmingham, Carmarthen and Exeter. So up to about 75 miles. That is still a problem for long distance driving. TT offers their opinion that traffic will in most cases clear before you reach that horizon, whereas some of us contend that the real problem stuff will not and it's those that we wish to avoid by choosing an alternative from afar - e.g. going north to Scotland up M6 or M1 from Birmingham. These days, a fatality on the motorway or trunk road can close it for a very long time, not just for dealing with the physical effects, but also doing police investigations. It is those that we want to avoid by far greater width than just the local diversions which are clogged.

Personally I don't like Garmin - admittedly it's a long time since I last tried one - that was back in the days when it warned me I was close to the border with 'foreign', namely Wales or Scotland!

If you can afford the extra cost, I'd recommend taking the 6200 over the 620, because of the convenience of built in SIM. I don't know how traffic is affected by phone calls and texts using your smartphone connection. But I guess it would take a very long time to use up the saving in data costs. I wouldn't buy any of them from TT right now as they are being discounted all over the place. I'd also be tempted to put the decision on hold for a month or two - surely TT will be bringing out new models soon.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'd also be tempted to put the decision on hold for a month or two - surely TT will be bringing out new models soon.

However TomTom have a history of backward evolution of their products, i.e. features that you like and use in an older model have been known to be removed from newer models. So if you want a particular model then buy it, but also be aware that its supported lifetime will be decided by TomTom!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he can go wrong with a new model Robert - all that's left on them now is navigation and some useless TomTom internet stuff, all the features have been dumbed out already.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: