Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 14 Percent Speed In Absence Of Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

14 Percent Speed In Absence Of Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: 14 Percent Speed In Absence Of Speed Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

Fourteen percent speed when there are no speed cameras and apparently almost one in five of us speed when we're running late.

A new survey has also reported that over three out of four drivers that were questioned admit to speeding - five percent confess to speeding on every trip they make.

78% of the 2000 drivers that were surveyed said that they break the speed limit and the average speed that they're happy with is 26mph in a 20mph zone and 79mph on a motorway.

A third say they purposely speed when the road is empty and half say they break the limit because they don't realise how fast they are going - the latter is an interesting statistic as presumably many are aware of their speed if they know they are breaking the limit.

A spokesman for Direct Line, the survey's commissioners, said: "Speeding is one of the biggest causes of accidents and casualties on UK roads. The research suggests it is often not deliberate, as drivers may be unaware they are creeping above the limit."

He added: "However, speed limits are set for a reason and 20mph and 30mph zones are often around schools, hospitals and other highly pedestrianised zones, where going over the limit could prove fatal in the event of an accident."

According to the Home Office, about four people a minute were caught speeding in 2016 and almost 2 million tickets were handed out across England and Wales.

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A spokesman for Direct Line, the survey's commissioners, said: "Speeding is one of the biggest causes of accidents and casualties on UK roads. The research suggests it is often not deliberate, as drivers may be unaware they are creeping above the limit."

He added: "However, speed limits are set for a reason and 20mph and 30mph zones are often around schools, hospitals and other highly pedestrianised zones, where going over the limit could prove fatal in the event of an accident."

I've been saying that here for years and often got told I'm wrong by a small number of posters.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 14 Percent Speed In Absence Of Speed Cameras Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
78% of the 2000 drivers that were surveyed said that they break the speed limit and the average speed that they're happy with is 26mph in a 20mph zone and 79mph on a motorway.

Those numbers could indicate that a large number of the people questioned use the NPCC guideline of 10% plus 2 mph to determine a safe speed, i.e. a speed that they believe they can travel at without getting caught! Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put my hand up to that.

While I'd say that inappropriate car speed is always bad I'd also say that an inappropriate speed limit is also just as bad. It can only encourage speeding.

Yes, I sometimes creep above the posted speed limit, sometimes without realising it, or sometimes when it is just a plain stupid speed.

Back in the day, it was so simple. You used to know where you stood, 70mph motorways and dual carriageways. 60mph single carriageways, 30mph in and around town with a few 40's and 50's thrown in here and there for good measure . There was no excuse.

Nowadays, heaven knows?

There is no uniformity, it seems to be so arbitrary what speed to be doing and where. I spend so much time looking for speed limit signs amongst the clutter of other street signage/directions and other things baying for my attention, paranoid that I'm going to be zapped for not knowing what speed I should be doing, it distracts me from my driving,. That can't be good.

I spend a great deal of my time not looking at the road ahead but looking at my SatNav and apps to see what speed they think I should be doing and weighing it up with the car behind tailgating because I am obviously erring too much on the side of caution and (s)he knows that I could be going faster.

It's not too bad if you are familiar with the area you are driving in but, if you are in unknown territory, cycle/bus lanes operating at different times of the day, trams, pedestrians more interested in FaceBooking than being street savvy and just stepping out in front of you. Road signage obscured by foliage, etc. the list is endless. It's almost as if there is too much information to take in to be able to drive safely.

Rant almost over.

I get so tired of reading about how "speed kills". No, it doesn't, not on it's own anyway. Inappropriate speed TOGETHER with bad road skills and poor road awareness, kills. But the other two factors are so difficult to enforce especially as it's not always the driver to blame.

It appears to me that road speeds are being constantly reduced because we are unable to educate our road users (pedestians and cyclists, etc. included) how to be road aware and our inability to enforce good road technique. The default goto mantra of "speeding is to blame" is so very easy to trip out, Therefore, the stock solution is "let's reduce the speed even more and erect even more cameras" to catch the nasty speeders.

i.e. The lowest common denominator prevails.

And when you are a self-confessed good, considerate driver, that irks.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they're trotting out the old "speeding is one of the major causes of accidents", when the government's own statistics show (of 10 factors) that 'travelling too fast for the conditions) is #9 and is a contributory factor in about 7% of accidents.

Also note that 'driving above the speed limit' is not split out, so we don't know how many of these accidents were within the posted limit, but just too fast for the conditions.

I speed...where I consider it safe to do so (so clear dual carriageways & motorways, rather than residential areas).

Isn't this more about the number of people who 'admitted' speeding in the absence of cameras, rather than the number of people who 'actually' speed in the absence of cameras.

If my Liverpool to London commute is anything to go by, the number is closer to 90% (where they're not stuck in a jam of course).

Even in the average speed sections of the M6, I can be the slowest thing there, yet I'm doing an indicated 60mph on the clock (54mph according to the sat nav) and I'll occasionally have a truck blaring their horn at me to go faster as there's no space in lane 2 to overtake.

In my last accident, speeding would probably not have made it to the accident cause stats, as I was doing 50mph on a motorway.

If you split the causes out in the order I'd apportion them, I'd have to say it was a combination of:
  • #3 - driver/rider careless, reckless or in a hurry
    (another driver undertook and pulled in front of me)

• #7 - slipper road due to weather
    (the other driver didn't realise how wet the lane I was in was, and the reason why I was leaving a large gap to the car in front)

• #8 - sudden braking
    (the other driver slammed on when he saw the huge puddle in front of him)

• #5 - loss of control
    (I had to brake sharply in response to the other driver, and the upset balance meant the car aquaplaned)

...and ultimately...
  • #9 - travelling too fast for the conditions
    (if I, or the other driver had been travelling at 10mph, it probably wouldn't have contributed to the accident
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

I get so tired of reading about how "speed kills". No, it doesn't, not on it's own anyway. Inappropriate speed TOGETHER with bad road skills and poor road awareness, kills. But the other two factors are so difficult to enforce especially as it's not always the driver to blame.

Afraid you're missing the point. Speed kills because the higher the speed when folks have poor road skills, poor road awareness etc etc the more the damage done. Unfortunately you can't educate some drivers enough to allow all to drive at whatever speed they wish.

I've taught many drivers to an advanced level and many are amazed to find they simply don't have the necessary skill to reach the grade they expected they could. It's like me or you wanting to win Wimbledon, someone can teach us to play tennis but we won't necessarily make a champion.

In the absence therefore of raising everyone's driving to the same standard speed does kill, it's why it's one of the fatal four. I've lost track of the number of fatals I've attended where speed clearly killed when someone would have lived if the crash had happened at a lower speed, or the number of single vehicle RTCs where the driver has said to me they just 'lost control' when it's quite clear what they meant was 'I was driving at a speed that didn't match my ability'. Regrettably in many of the multi-vehicle RTCs it's often the innocent motorist who dies while the moron who felt, incorrectly, his driving was sufficiently skilled to ignore the speed limits lives.

Rant over.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm-five wrote:

I speed...where I consider it safe to do so (so clear dual carriageways & motorways, rather than residential areas).

Problem is very few drivers are able to correctly assess when it's safe to speed, see my post above. I've been to two fatals where you think it's safe to do so (clear dual carriageways and motorways) caused by idiots whose driving ability clearly didn't enable them to drive safely at speed, thankfully in both cases because it was a clear road no one else died. Trouble is many don't find out how poor their driving is until they're involved in a crash.

So just because you consider it 'safe to do so' doesn't make it so Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand most 'accidents'. Like yesterday, five cars in the outside lane all touching, nose to tail. First car was bent at the back, next three were bent both front and back, fifth was bent at the front.

By my reckoning, that's four drivers driving too fast - so speeding caused that accident.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily driving too fast Dennis. But they were deffo following too close for the speed they were doing/ the conditions/ their driving ability.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That demonstrates my point about perceived ability versus actual ability. I suspect all those drivers, except possibly the first one, thought they had the ability to stop if anything happened. Clearly they didn't Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drivers 2 to 5 smacked the car in front - they were NOT driving at a slow enough speed to stop. So they WERE driving too fast - their ability or proximity are simply side products. If they had been driving slower than what they WERE driving at, they wouldn’t have smacked the car in front. So they WERE driving too fast. Stop it!

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I didn’t smack into any of them. A lot of other drivers didn’t smack into any of them. We weren’t speeding.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So they WERE driving too fast. Stop it!
NO, NO, NO. They were following too close. Their speed is irrelevant. Only a fool breaks the two second rule!
DennisN wrote:
A lot of other drivers didn’t smack into any of them. We weren’t speeding.
Nothing to do with speeding, it was because you were not following too closely. (Or in a different lane or going the other way.)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
So they WERE driving too fast. Stop it!
NO, NO, NO. They were following too close. Their speed is irrelevant. Only a fool breaks the two second rule!
NO, NO, NO. They were driving too fast to stop in the distance available.

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're both wrong ... and right ... Laughing

They were too close and too fast to stop in the distance they could see to be clear ... Number one rule from the police Roadcraft handbook ... You must always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: