Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Grmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Grmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbitseggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Grmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D Reply with quote

Hello. for years I have been using a TomTom Go Live 1005 and it has been absolutely great particularly with the PGPSW Camera download added. TomTom in their wisdom have withdrawn their support of this model. Its replacement will not allow the use of third party software. So after much soul searching I purchased a Garmin Drive smart 61 LMT-D and very impressive it looks too. As a Sat Nav I cannot fault it. However I am having a major problem and I am hoping somebody out there can help me. I have added a 32GB SD card but the Drive smart does not appear to see it. I have tried loading PGPSW camera files using Garmin Express but that cannot find the SD card. I have also tried loading the files onto the SD card using Garmin POI loader. Files do transfer onto the SD card but when placed into the Drive smart no cameras are displayed. I have tried all the suggestions such as using different USB ports and removing all other drives but to no avail. AS for using another computer I only have one! Your help would be much appreciated.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer your actual question, but why are you bothering trying to use an SD card at all?

I have a DS 61LMT-D with 16GB memory, full Europe maps and the largish speed cam database as produced by Kremen's CSV to GPX converter and mine reads 7.83GB used and 6.45GB free.
Just put the database in the internal memory and save yourself a load of grief.

As an aside, you do NOT use Garmin Express to load the database, you use POILoader. And I assume that you have unzipped the database download?

Hope that helps, but if you need any more help, this is the place to get it. There are a number of Garmin black belts on this forum.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if you're expecting Express or your device to tell you in some way that you have a card installed that won't happen. Express will use an installed card only if it needs to, until then it will ignore it. Your device uses it seamlessly, so if you have any appropriate files, maps etc it'll just behave as though the data was on its internal memory.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful as always suss. I didn't know that, but as I have oodles of spare memory, why should I bother with an SD.{rhet} Very Happy
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can whip it out (with its camera file) if a French plod approaches.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pantomime]
Oh no you can't.
[/pantomime]
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tee hee !

Dales
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've driven in France (admittedly only 3 times) I've used SatNav without the PGPSW camera database and relied solely on CamerAlert warnings.

Having said that we just used the toll roads and kept to the speed limit which made driving much more relaxed as we weren't looking out for speed traps. Admittedly we have always taken a TD5 Land Rover Defender that can just do 130 km/h (80 mph) but it, and we, were happier at 120 km/h (75 mph). Thumbs Up

If you do use the toll roads in France then I recommend getting a Liber-t tag, which not only saves you from having to scrabble for loose change but saves you time. We would often be overtaken by vehicles on the French motorways only to catchup and get ahead of them at the tolls.

If you want to get a Liber-t tag and you're going to France via the Eurotunnel then you can use the Eurotunnel Liber-t tag offer.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
rabbitseggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone. I do have plenty of space on the internal memory. I didn't realise that it had to be full before the SD card would function.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
When I've driven in France (admittedly only 3 times) I've used SatNav without the PGPSW camera database and relied solely on CamerAlert warnings.

Having said that we just used the toll roads and kept to the speed limit which made driving much more relaxed as we weren't looking out for speed traps. Admittedly we have always taken a TD5 Land Rover Defender that can just do 130 km/h (80 mph) but it, and we, were happier at 120 km/h (75 mph). Thumbs Up

If you do use the toll roads in France then I recommend getting a Liber-t tag, which not only saves you from having to scrabble for loose change but saves you time. We would often be overtaken by vehicles on the French motorways only to catchup and get ahead of them at the tolls.

If you want to get a Liber-t tag and you're going to France via the Eurotunnel then you can use the Eurotunnel Liber-t tag offer.

Regards,

If you want a French toll tag (badge in French) account apply direct to one of theother concessionaires but not Sanef. I've used APRR but recently changed to ATMB. UK credit/debit cards are accepted for payment. ATMB charge €20 deposit for the tag and €3 postage. A fee of €1.60 for any month in which a toll is charged + the tolls is the total cost. Online application is in English.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
So I can whip it out (with its camera file) if a French plod approaches.

If you have been stopped by French plod (flics?) the chances are you've been caught speeding and PGPSW failed to warn you!

The French flics have no authority to inspect a satnav or phone for 'radar' warnings and there have been no reports on French forums of this happening.

Nevertheless, I do keep my database on a removable card Wink

I recently reported a French camera that had been relocated 400m from the PGPSW database position but had no response. Must try again as it's close to Calais on a road used by UK visitors.
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a card in my unit. When I insert it, the unit tells me a card has been inserted and would I like to transfer the files? Again, mine are files on a separate card for the French. When I use POI Loader, it also recognises the card and I have to select where I want my files loaded to, Garmin or card.

Mark
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's normal Wink
rabbitseggs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Grmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D Reply with quote

Ok Guys I didn't realise how much more difficult the Garmin was to operate compared with my old TomTom. You have solved the problem of adding the PGPSW speed cameras to my Drive Smart 61 by adding them to the device and not onto an SD card. The process completed successfully and I can see the files in custom POis' Problem is I can not get them to show on the map or any audible sound. I have ticked the box to activate the custm POIs but to no avail. Any ideas folks

I notice also that I cannot update Maps/software. Just get an error message. Do I have to remove Custom POI before I can do this?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Grmin Drivesmart 61 LMt-D Reply with quote

rabbitseggs wrote:
Problem is I can not get them to show on the map or any audible sound. I have ticked the box to activate the custm POIs but to no avail. Any ideas folks
If you have installed them 'normally' and not used Kremmen's CSV to GPX converter, they will only show/alert if you are speeding up to the camera, or just below the limit and accelerating.
Quote:
I notice also that I cannot update Maps/software. Just get an error message. Do I have to remove Custom POI before I can do this?
No.
How are you trying to update the maps? Garmin Express should lead you by the hand through the process. If this is not the case, you will have to tell us any error messages and at what stage it fails. Saying 'cannot update maps/software' is less than helpful as diagnostic info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: