Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to stop ITN (Itinerary) "optimisations"?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to stop ITN (Itinerary) "optimisations"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: How to stop ITN (Itinerary) "optimisations"? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I hope some knowledgeable person on here can help me.

We are lucky enough to be planning a Route 66 trip from Chicago to LA in May, and I have enjoyed planning the route, diversions and hotels. I am now starting to do the detailed route planning for my Go 6100 with the latest US maps loaded.

I started planning the first day, from Chicago to Springfield. Generally the "original" route 66 roads still exist, but have been bypassed by newer / faster roads so I thought "No problem, I will use stops or way points to make sure I use the original roads..."

I discovered that the TomTom myroute planner isn't very helpful as it can only store 10 or 20 "way points", and then it "loses the detail" and just routes me by the newer roads.

So I did some digging around, and the "myroute" app & planner seemed to fit the job, and I planned a detailed route in that, and then downloaded it as a Tomtom "ITN" itinerary, loaded it into the 6100, which then "optimised" the route and ignored all of my way points on the older Route 66 roads...

Tomtom do have a "route 66" road trip, but it simply follows the current roads and not the original roads.

Any one got any advice or tips who to solve this? I do have detailed printed maps & guides, but my wife isn't the worlds best navigator so I would prefer to have the tomtom pre-loaded with the details routes to follow.

I guess I could break each days journey down into multiple segments but that seems to be such a faff - I'd prefer to have each day's route loaded at the start of the day.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask on the TT forum here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/ as there just has to be someone out there who's done this same road trip surely.

plan b) Can your wife drive a left hooker Question Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan b). Perhaps she’s only just reached the crazy golf putting range.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my TTs are old generation so I'm guessing. What happens if you play around with your preferred route settings to "Shortest route" or "Non-motorway" or impose a reduced speed limit of, say, 50mph?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add more waypoints?

Add a waypoint on the old roads between each off ramp of the new free way
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Sorted! Reply with quote

In the end the solution quite simple to work around the TomTom limit of the small number of waypoints allowed in a routem, but an Itinerary allows many more..

By default, the myroute tool & app (which is really easy to use!) is using Google Maps, and when that itinerary is transferred to the Go 6100 is "loses some precision" and also the multiple stops / way points I had set so the route in Tomtom is "too efficient" and I lose the details I want.

But if you upgrade to myroute Gold (which is about £30 or so, with a 30 day free trail) then you can use TomTom mapping direct (and also Here/Garmin) so no precision is lost and the stops / way points / itinerary is now showing in mydrive exactly how I want it!

And the "send to mydrive" beta feature seems to work fine, so I no longer have to mess about downloading the ITN file to an SD card to transfer it.

The Itinerary becomes a track on the Go, but that is fine for me. I am still not sure of the difference between a rout and a track!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you got it sorted deep_south and thanks for posting your solution here.

As far as I'm aware, a route is where you are going and a track is where you have been.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's conventional I believe, but it seems that TT ignore convention.
The argument is similar to the difference between heading and track. Heading is the direction you are pointing and track is the direction in which you are going. For land based stuff, they are usually, but not always (over/understeer) the same. But in aeronautical/maritime there is often quite a large difference due to cross winds/currents.
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop ITN (Itinerary) "optimisations"? Reply with quote

deep_south wrote:
Hi everyone, I hope some knowledgeable person on here can help me.

We are lucky enough to be planning a Route 66 trip from Chicago to LA in May, and I have enjoyed planning the route, diversions and hotels. I am now starting to do the detailed route planning for my Go 6100 with the latest US maps loaded.

I started planning the first day, from Chicago to Springfield. Generally the "original" route 66 roads still exist, but have been bypassed by newer / faster roads so I thought "No problem, I will use stops or way points to make sure I use the original roads..."

I discovered that the TomTom myroute planner isn't very helpful as it can only store 10 or 20 "way points", and then it "loses the detail" and just routes me by the newer roads.

So I did some digging around, and the "myroute" app & planner seemed to fit the job, and I planned a detailed route in that, and then downloaded it as a Tomtom "ITN" itinerary, loaded it into the 6100, which then "optimised" the route and ignored all of my way points on the older Route 66 roads...

Tomtom do have a "route 66" road trip, but it simply follows the current roads and not the original roads.

Any one got any advice or tips who to solve this? I do have detailed printed maps & guides, but my wife isn't the worlds best navigator so I would prefer to have the tomtom pre-loaded with the details routes to follow.

I guess I could break each days journey down into multiple segments but that seems to be such a faff - I'd prefer to have each day's route loaded at the start of the day.

Have you tried saving the MyRoute-app route as "TomTom MyDrive (beta)"? It seems to work fine for me, although I have only used it to plan relatively short routes so far.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: