Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Passat & the Discover Pro 9.2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Passat & the Discover Pro 9.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickeytake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: New Passat & the Discover Pro 9.2 Reply with quote

The new motors been ordered with an upgraded Discover Pro, all very nice and shiny but it's very irritating not getting speed cams as standard.
Technology is moving fast and increasingly you can access lifetime licences for satnav stuff inc. speed cams, not sure how reliable they are ?

Passat estate ordered with the Discover Pro 9.2 screen / car-net included.
The unit online manual says POI can be imported, though I've read in these forums and others that there's confusion over audible alerts being present and also the alert distance to camera being very small and therefore useless.
A further comment was that the imported speed cam icon was a dull grey.

I've read other threads to this and maybe the problems been sorted, if someone could point me in that direction it would be much appreciated ! Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mickeytake,

I'm noticing a lot of "how do I install the PGPSW camera database onto my (new) car's built-in SatNav" type of questions recently.

Unfortunately due to the nature of this site whilst you'll get a lot of people here who know about speed cameras as well as PNDs (Personal Navigational Devices) and SatNav apps for smart phones you won't get so many people here who have the same built-in SatNav.

I suggest that you search the internet for an appropriate forum that deals with your car of choice that also has a section on the SatNav. Hopefully people have been there before on how to load POIs.

Once you have the knowledge on how to load POIs onto you car's SatNav use the PGPSW forum to help with the POIs themselves.

Hope that makes sense! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Mickeytake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi Mickeytake,

I'm noticing a lot of "how do I install the PGPSW camera database onto my (new) car's built-in SatNav" type of questions recently.

Unfortunately due to the nature of this site whilst you'll get a lot of people here who know about speed cameras as well as PNDs (Personal Navigational Devices) and SatNav apps for smart phones you won't get so many people here who have the same built-in SatNav.

I suggest that you search the internet for an appropriate forum that deals with your car of choice that also has a section on the SatNav. Hopefully people have been there before on how to load POIs.

Once you have the knowledge on how to load POIs onto you car's SatNav use the PGPSW forum to help with the POIs themselves.
Hope that makes sense! Thumbs Up

Regards,

Yes, sounds good ! I'm reading the beginners guide as well and notice there's free downloads available to change icons etc. Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickeytake wrote:
Yes, sounds good ! I'm reading the beginners guide as well and notice there's free downloads available to change icons etc. Smile

Don't run before you can walk! Very Happy

You need to work out what type of files your SatNav can take, whether your SatNav can take multiple files (so you can have Speed Zone Complete i.e. camera type and its speed or a single file with all camera types and s speeds together or something in-between).

You need to experiment with adding a POI and its associated .bmp (icon) file and also deleting those files - whilst you can normally just overwrite files it's a good idea to know how to delete them as well.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always best to ask first on a dedicated vehicle forum.

They have an interest in their own model. As Privateer said, we have very limited knowledge of OEM SatNavs.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Mickeytake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Mickeytake wrote:

Don't run before you can walk! Very Happy

You need to work out what type of files your SatNav can take, whether your SatNav can take multiple files (so you can have Speed Zone Complete i.e. camera type and its speed or a single file with all camera types and s speeds together or something in-between).

You need to experiment with adding a POI and its associated .bmp (icon) file and also deleting those files - whilst you can normally just overwrite files it's a good idea to know how to delete them as well.

Regards,

Hi,

The Discover Pro comes with Car Net and the following link shows ways to import POIs and the various acceptable file formats under the FAQs tab.

http://volkswagen-carnet.com/int/en/start/app-overview/guide-inform/mod_personal_poi.html#tab/open/9d4a4a9f-2f4e-4489-8909-bd96155a0601

Seems all in order there, so next stage would be to know the file format of the speed cam package, are there separate files for the location, icon and warning ?
I've checked the online manual for the VW Discover Media and Discover Pro and found in the latter ONLY there is a heading "Warning - Speed Cameras - none, mute and on checkboxes. (Tried pasting a photo?)
I've also noted the limitation to 10 No POI categories, and your workaround to bundle all camera types into one heading seems ok.
Might be an idea to see both formats
Finally I know this is not post to ask but please point me to "how to get picture/text into a post" I can't seem to copy/paste from my photo album ? Embarassed The link above did work on copy/paste

Regards Michael Smile
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the photo on an on-line repository such as dropbox and post the link to it. You cannot embed pics directly on this forum.
Mickeytake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Put the photo on an on-line repository such as dropbox and post the link to it. You cannot embed pics directly on this forum.

Many Thanks, my son is tech savvy, after the first I'll be rocking ! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: