Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What are TomTom upto?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What are TomTom upto?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: What are TomTom upto? Reply with quote

Just had the most incredible phone chat with TomTom support regarding the updating of the new maps.
We all know the issues with the file size and removing items from your device to make the new maps fit on.
Well last night i started to update after about 40 minutes, and this is with a superfast fibre connection, the update would fail on 52% and restart, and fail and restart and so on.
This morning i tried again, for a fleeting moment a page would appear telling me to remove items from my device to make room for the maps then before i can do that the page changes to update and again the cycle just goes on.
So i now ring support with the number on the website, that is now history and a new number is given over the phone, i ring and explain what is happening and wait for it..... the lady tells me to ring my anti virus supplier and tell them to change their settings to allow tomtom to complete their update. After falling over with laughing i asked this lady if she was for real and would she really expect Bitdefender to change their program settings for me.
I told her she was not much help and rang off, continued with the update again and lo and behold it loaded flawlessly, ffs, what is going on.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, antivirus software (esp. Kapersky) and/or firewalls have been known to impede proper transmission at times.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off AV to allow all inbound traffic Rolling Eyes

I did that once, ages ago, and when I restarted Norton it found 3 or 4 nasties had come in as well.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact, if you allow tomtom through your firewall and allow the use of all ports that the process uses it shouldn't impede anything should it, but this is tomtom software we are talking about.
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 minutes to download, but a fair bit longer (10 minutes) to transfer to the device & install!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, since my chat with tomtom, the map loaded without a hitch but the my connect app shows the map at 3824mb free space as 3188MB yet the 1005 is only supposed to have 4gb of storage or so i thought.
mmm-five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Strange, since my chat with tomtom, the map loaded without a hitch but the my connect app shows the map at 3824mb free space as 3188MB yet the 1005 is only supposed to have 4gb of storage or so i thought.

My 'dead' 1005 (4CQ02 with an SA serial number) has about 160mb left after installing the latest maps - which according to a TomTom lookup is a 'TomTom GO LIVE 1005, 4GB, MyDrive Connect'.

My new 1005 (4CR52 with an ST serial number) has 3380mb left after installing the latest maps - which according to the same TomTom lookup is a 'TomTom GO LIVE 1005 / Camper & Caravan, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect'.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that explains it, my device is a caravan thing, dunno how i got that, never owned a caravan or a tent in my life. Still a little strange how the last updates were too big now suddenly i have all this "new" space, either way 'i'll take it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: