Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pretec CompactGPS-LP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pretec CompactGPS-LP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrightca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pretec CompactGPS-LP Reply with quote

I finally got my regular CompactGPS after sending my CompactGPS-LP back. This one works so much better. I would suggest to anyone thinking about the LP, don't. Spend the little extra money and get the better version. It took all of 5 minutes to fix enough satellites to get a good lock on my location. The LP couldn't do that in one hour and fourty-five minutes! Go with CompactGPS!

Christopher Wright
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pretec CompactGPS-LP Reply with quote

what drivers were you using?

I've had a lp card for 3 months and have no problems getting 3 - 7 sat's whilst in the car (using tomtom navigator software). I never tried the drivers that shipped with the unit but was using the 2.1 & 2.4 beta ones that are now final.

It suffers in city use - constantly losing and regaining the signal but I've just ordered an external antenna to solve this - but overall I must say for the cash I've been more or less happy with it. The power consumption is very good for out of car use - using the cf+ sleeve and ipaq 3850 I can leave it running in my pocket most of the day.

iancjc
Frequent Visitor

I'm now using the LP card with an external antenna and the results are now very good.

In 3 days it hasn't lost the signal once (even under canopies in petrol stations) and I get 8 sat's locked 90% of the time and never less than 5. Still using the 2.4 drivers with tomtotm navigator 1.5 (90gb UK map on sd card)with my ipaq 3850.

Powering the unit up each morning gives me a lock on 3/4 sat's within 20 seconds. I think Pretec have now sorted this product but it does need the external antenna if you want to use it in a car (but I guess this applies to most cf cards).

For £99 including citymaps it is IMHO great value.
Jacal
Occasional Visitor

I have a 3970 and the CF GPS-LP from Pretec and it is great it took less than a minute to get a signal and it is a very low cost card.

:-)

mrgadget
Occasional Visitor

my 3975 ipaq doesn't find the right com port i need . It finds it though in the gps demo file and locks satellites in in less than 2 minutes, but when i open the mapping software from pretec i only show 4 com ports 1,2,3,4 + auto, then either one oh them says can't find gps card!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

with the lp card you need to select GPS PORT (it shows up without trouble on my 3850 and TomTom nav).

Are you using the 2.4 drivers (and what mapping software are you using).

If you are using any earler drivers you have to load the server app manually after plugging in the card - this is not required with the 2.4 drivers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: