Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newsletter - June 8th
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsletter - June 8th
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Newsletter - June 8th Reply with quote

What a stupid, truculent, poorly thought out comment in today’s newsletter about the UK not having access to Galileo after Brexit.

We may be walking out a relationship of our choosing but even when this occurs and one has contributed both serious sums of cash and technology to an initiative you might expect to get something in return.

Even in the worst divorces both parties get a settlement. It’s rare if ever that somebody gets absolutely nothing. If my wife walks out on me today, God forbid, she would get an entitlement to my pensions since she contributed to my career by looking after the kids and household whilst I was the major breadwinner.

Not doubting which way you voted back in 2016 then.....

If anything the way the EU has responded gives all the more cause to get out of such an organisation which wants to bully people that disagree with its views or force them to vote again until they vote the “correct way”.

(And yes, government is making a right mess of the whole process ......)
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue against any of that Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can. Britain contributed about 10% of the budget but UK companies received about 15% of the contracts in value. Are you suggesting that their shareholders hand back the profits from those contracts and the employees repay their salaries?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter - June 8th Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
(And yes, government is making a right mess of the whole process ......)

Hardly surprising as it's impossible to square a circle. Reality is beginning to dawn ... Brexit could even be cancelled at this rate or at the very least they'll be a peoples vote on the deal, whether to accept or remain, and polls indicate remain would win this time round as people have begun to understand the lies and half truths that were told last time.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter - June 8th Reply with quote

Aah yes, lies and half truths, we mustn’t forget that bit, Project Fear and all that.....must admit my shares and stocks portfolio has never been healthier. 😎
The bottom line is BOTH sides told absolute whoppers and trying to suggest otherwise is pointless.

I wouldn’t be so sure that remain would win, for many people attitudes on both sides have hardened and for ever Leaver who might now change their mind I suspect there will be Remainers who having seen the arrogant attitudes exhibited by people in Brussels for whom none of us voted would now vote to leave.

But hey, we’re back to my earlier point about having to vote again and again until we vote the “correct” way.....
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boils down to bad losers

Let's get our Gov, borders, etc back under our control, not Brussels who have shown contempt to the UK for years. We have been a cash cow for far too long.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newsletter - June 8th Reply with quote

perussell wrote:

The bottom line is BOTH sides told absolute whoppers and trying to suggest otherwise is pointless.

Agreed. That's why there appears to be a major push for a vote on the final deal, so the people can decide based on fact not lies.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the 'facts' won't be consistent. The leavers and remainers will 'bend' the facts to suit their particular motives. Or just miss out the 'facts' that don't suit them (withheld evidence just like the plods have done in certain cases).
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not but for many it'll be clearer than during the initial hype.

Really if it was going to be as simple as some folks suggested it's difficult to see why it's taking so long to even put a simple proposal together, which indicates it's not as easy as they all thought.

In addition as my teenage daughter points out it was mainly old farts like me who voted to leave, many are now dead and those that aren't will only have to live with the consequences for a short time, she and her friends who mainly wish to remain will have to live with it 'for ever'. She wants another vote so she can have a say on her and her friends future.

I think the only way of bringing the remainers and leavers together is to have a vote on the deal, that way no one can then complain, either leavers who aren't getting what they thought (no £350M a week for the NHS, that's now clear it won't happen) or remainers who can't say no one knew what they were really voting for.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good idea about what is going on, look at Richard North's blog,
www.eureferendum.com. He is a long time anti-EU campaigner. He produced a 400 page document looking at every aspect of leaving. Its a pity no-one in Government bothered reading it before triggering Article 50.

Even he is beginning to panic about the outcome.

People didn't vote for Disaster Economics. This is why a lot of very wealthy people are behind Brexit and is nothing to do with being in or out of the EU. We've seen it operate in Russia and Hong Kong.

In addition to the constant rubbish being spouted by ignorant politicians such as the frictionless border with Switzerland, they need us more than we need them, etc. no one seems to be listening or even reporting on what employers are saying. The Japanese and other car manufacturers have publicly stated that they need no impediments, even 1/4 hour, to their supply chain otherwise they will go elsewhere.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Even he is beginning to panic about the outcome.

Aren't we all Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
In addition as my teenage daughter points out it was mainly old farts like me who voted to leave, many are now dead and those that aren't will only have to live with the consequences for a short time, she and her friends who mainly wish to remain will have to live with it 'for ever'.
She has not actually lived in non-EU times to know what it's like. Just the same as the young have never lived through a Labour induced recession with inflation at 15 to 20% and the unions ruling the roost.

If the 'millennials' had, they would never ever vote Labour (or to stay in the EU). Especially with the idiot that is JC and some of his even more idiotic/incompetent commie mates nominally in charge, but with the unions dictating the 'way forward'. That would be a disaster for the country.

Blair was bad enough, but JC? Jesus Christ, God help us.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
sussamb wrote:
In addition as my teenage daughter points out it was mainly old farts like me who voted to leave, many are now dead and those that aren't will only have to live with the consequences for a short time, she and her friends who mainly wish to remain will have to live with it 'for ever'.
She has not actually lived in non-EU times to know what it's like. .

While that's true what is certain that if we leave the EU it won't be like it was 40 odd years ago, the world has moved on since then and is so much more 'inter-connected' and global. I suspect many of the older generation voted for a return to the 'good old days' and that's simply not achievable.

The young therefore, whether rightly or wrongly, aren't comparing what we have now with what we had 'before the EU'.

As for JC, that's a completely different matter Laughing
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was voted for by my parents in the 70s was for a common market, not a United States of Europe. Had this agreement stayed in place and we had continued as just "trading buddies", the result may well have been different now. All the scaremongering about queues at borders, we had to queue before Schengen when I was travelling regularly across Europe. Who knows, if the queues get too long, they may consider re- opening long closed routes to Ostend, Zeebrugge, Boulogne to ease them, would be good to not have to stick to Calais or Dunkirk! At the end of the day, we all need to trade with each other, i'm sure if France, Germany, Italy, et al want to play hard ball, they can just as easily lose access for their fruit, cars, wine, cheese, etc.

Didn't really expect to see politics on this forum, it can make enemies of the best friends!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
Didn't really expect to see politics on this forum, it can make enemies of the best friends!!
It's not politics. It's stating facts. Is that 'friends' as in facebook 'friends'.
Luckily, my only 'real' friend around here is K, and fortunately our political beliefs etc. are pretty much closely aligned. Very Happy
Other than that, I rest my case.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: