Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Point To Point Cameras On Way
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Point To Point Cameras On Way
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wingphil wrote:
Pulling out of a side road into a main road into the pathh of a motorcycle car or lorry is much more likely to injure someone than going 10mph over the limit.
Ah, you seem to have completely missed the point of lowering speed limits.

a. If the motorcycle was doing 10MP, he probably would have been able to easily stop and swear at the other driver profusely.
b. If he were doing 30MPH, likely he will likely hit the car and do damage to both the car and his M/C and possibly himself.
c. If he were doing 60MPH, he will do considerable damage to the car and his M/C and he would likely end up in either a hospital or the morgue.
So speed kills. Same circumstances, 10MPH, minimal outcome, 60MPH possible death. QED
Now let's look at a different angle. Consider pedestrians walking into the road without looking both ways etc. whilst engrossed in TwitBook or Candy crush. No, let's not bother, but I think you might be able to see the point now. No?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is NOT OK to go 10mph over the limit

You are putting yourself at greater risk, but, far more important, you are putting others at a greater risk.

Speeding isn't clever, it's anti-social.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - added to my sat nav 'avoid' roads Smile
Gaussmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, tell me, will the A675 cameras be effective against any of those motorcyclists the signs keep telling me to watch out for? Do motorcycles have 'drivers'?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you wonder why you should be watching out for motor cycles, they should be watching out for cars.
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
It is NOT OK to go 10mph over the limit

You are putting yourself at greater risk, but, far more important, you are putting others at a greater risk.

Speeding isn't clever, it's anti-social.

The speed limits are not set based on any science / data. If they were you could have a point.

They were arbitrary and 'historic' until quite recently - but kinda worked. Now they are very often subject to the whims of those with a political agenda and have lost what little credibility they DID have as the automation of enforcement has grown. ASC's being the control freak's wet dream.

I am sure you know of A roads where 100mph is safe and not going to disturb anyone (I do). Motorway limits (70 mph) are ludicrous and routinely ignored.

I am sorry but is actually anti-social to prosecute citizens for exceeding many (many) of the limits that are imposed.

The system is broken but in reality the country faces numerous greater challenges so sorting it out is not likely to happen any time soon. Some people seem to exploiting this to their own benefit.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:
I am sorry but is actually anti-social to prosecute citizens for exceeding many (many) of the limits that are imposed.
Ah, I see. It's now anti social to prosecute people who blatantly ignore laws of the land. I didn't realise that. Can you not prosecute them for anti social behaviour then?
Now I'm out as I refuse to feed the troll any more Stop! Where has that DNFTT emoicon?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidonly wrote:

I am sure you know of A roads where 100mph is safe and not going to disturb anyone (I do).

Ye gods .... If you think most drivers are 'safe' at 100mph you either need locking up on the grounds of insanity or already are locked up. As I have no intention of arguing with the insane I'm also out Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNFTT

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the UK about 4 years ago (and rather glad to have done so as I still hear the weather forecasts Very Happy ) but the one speed limit I never understood was 20mph. It was becoming more ubiquitous when I left and I always found it almost impossible to keep my speed below 20. 30mph was very manageable but my car's cruise control could not even be set to 20. To keep my speed as low as below 20 meant I was checking the speedometer every few seconds which meant I was taking my eyes off the road. Wasn't that more dangerous?
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven and ridden in many countries. Some have very little regulation at all others, like the UK try to regulate everything. The biggest problem in the UK is attitude.

1) Everyone thinks their right to do something is higher than anyone else
2) Everyone blames someone else for their own failings

Take a point where two lanes merge into one. How many time do you see a driver virtually in the boot of the car in front to avoid letting the vehicle that is parallel to them into what should be a gap.

Someone mentioned motorway slip roads. Yes they are give way lines but again if vehicle were travelling a reasonable distance apart and willing to ease of the gas a little to give someone space to merge it would not be a problem.

Every day I see driver going through red lights and blocking junctions as they feel its their turn.

Rather than more regulation I would prefer to see better education and proper enforcement of more than just the speed limit part of road traffic regulations.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:

Take a point where two lanes merge into one. How many time do you see a driver virtually in the boot of the car in front to avoid letting the vehicle that is parallel to them into what should be a gap.

Very true. In many countries zipping (as it's likened to how a zip closes together) or 'merge in turn' is law. Traffic then flows far more smoothly than folks jostling for space as often happens here.

exportman wrote:
Someone mentioned motorway slip roads. Yes they are give way lines but again if vehicle were travelling a reasonable distance apart and willing to ease of the gas a little to give someone space to merge it would not be a problem.

That though also requires the joining driver to ease into the gap, often they simply ignore what the traffic on the motorway is doing and cut them up instead of sliding neatly in behind, or join at such a slow speed into the gap other drivers have to do more than simply 'ease up'.
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Davidonly wrote:

I am sure you know of A roads where 100mph is safe and not going to disturb anyone (I do).

Ye gods .... If you think most drivers are 'safe' at 100mph you either need locking up on the grounds of insanity or already are locked up. As I have no intention of arguing with the insane I'm also out Laughing

A modern car on clear roads is designed for those speeds and is easy to drive at them. I don't understand the problem. The law does not have any influence on the definition of physical safety. Limiting point, adhesion, environmental factors and basic car control is all the counts. Of course, exceeding the arbitrary limit posted does risk prosecution. Even then in England at least speed and danger (as in 'dangerous driving' are entirely separate considerations).

The laws of physics are the same in the UK and in Germany, where according to you, many thousands of drivers must be insane...

I think you (like many here) have swallowed the propaganda too literally.
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:

That though also requires the joining driver to ease into the gap, often they simply ignore what the traffic on the motorway is doing and cut them up instead of sliding neatly in behind, or join at such a slow speed into the gap other drivers have to do more than simply 'ease up'.

In my experience most of the ones who just enter without any consideration do that all the way across in the the right hand lane then sit on the back bumper of the vehicle in front. Of course these driver consider themselves fast drivers so the "Fast lane" is their natural habitat. You will find them in this lane even if there is next to no other traffic on the road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: