Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lifetime map updates, err, well 10 years.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifetime map updates, err, well 10 years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Lifetime map updates, err, well 10 years. Reply with quote

Just had an email from TomTom saying my latest free map update is available and for the first time it gave the 'start date' and 'end date' of the subscription.

This is the so-called 'lifetime map update', but actually is only 10 years. Bit of a shock. I know I'm unlikely to still have the same sat nav after 10 years but this does seem to be a poor bit of marketing spin. Surely it would be more truthful to say '10 years of free map updates', rather than 'lifetime'.

Anyone got a TomTom that's lived longer than 10 years?[/img]
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always put 10 years in their database for lifetime maps.

If you have a SUPPORTED model that is older than 10 years, you can ask them to extend it and they will.
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Nice to know they will actually honour their 'lifetime' offer, though it still seems poor practice to suggest it's limited to 10 years. Thank heavens for good eggs like you, who help their PR. Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine its to help stop just an endless list of devices they have to keep listed on their backend system for ever - when for most if not all they will have been superseded by user choice, broke, or ended their useful life

These days I am surprised lifetime on a tech device means 10 years

For Samsung it is usually 6 months Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

Try Volvo. The TomTom Maps in the Volvo in car system on the V40 say 4 free updates a year guaranteed till 2027

(I want a flying car with self drive by 2027 not an updated tomtom)!

Mind you the EU updated map this week came in at 17.8Gb updating via the cars USB will probably take till then!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Try Volvo. The TomTom Maps in the Volvo in car system on the V40 say 4 free updates a year guaranteed till 2027

(I want a flying car with self drive by 2027 not an updated tomtom)!

Mind you the EU updated map this week came in at 17.8Gb updating via the cars USB will probably take till then!

Laughing
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Volvo Maps Reply with quote

Impressive that Volvo will update them for that long and that frequently. A big cost saver that many car manufacturers would not give, especially as they could be charging mega-bucks for an update.

But 17GB! One wonders whether all that detail is actually necessary?

My own VW system shows buildings. A pretty got rendition too, but I'd rather have a 1GB download than up to 21GB for the Navtec maps! Admittedly they do allow you to download the map in sections but you have to download all sections otherwise it won't work. They do say you can buy the updated map on an SD card from a VW dealer. Not sure how much that is but it might be worth it to avoid the wait.

Oh, and the maps haven't been updated since November 2015. My system still tries to take me up Edinburgh streets that are only open to trams, and were so even before November.

It's a good system otherwise but I do miss my TomTom, which only comes out when I have a hire car.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour and myself both bought a TomTom One v1 when they first came out at Christmas 2005 (Halfords vouchers). They are now older than 10 years.

My neighbour paid an extra £69 for lifetime maps. TomTom offers 18 month subscriptions which means he is good until at least the end of 2017 (12 years)

I couldn't imagine TomTom wouldn't bring out a much better version in a few years so I passed on the lifetime maps. Here I am 10 years later with the same unit which works better than most of the newer ones Sad
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty good going - 11 years and still going strong. Mind you, how much have you paid during that time for updates? This feels a bit like the situation with inkjet printers, paying more than the machine cost in new cartridges.

My thinking has often gone along the lines of "how much would map updates or trafffic cost me before it's worth replacing this TomTom?"
I replaced my previous TomTom after a year because it didn't have lifetime map updates, with one that did, and the replacement also had free Traffic and cams (sorry PGPSWorld) for three years. I figured that 3 years of traffic info was roughly equivalent to the cost of the TomTom! Map updates would have made the cost of the older TomTom nearer to £400 over three years.

The latest series of TomToms which have lifetime traffic and maps included, provided you don't mind connecting through your phone, seem great.

I may be wrong here, but if the TomToms could connect to a wifi dongle OR bluetooth that would be even better, so you could still connect your phone via Bluetooth to any in-car handsfree.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: