Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Fake Speed Camera Debate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fake Speed Camera Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: The Fake Speed Camera Debate Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

A fake speed camera that was set up on a post last week in Enham Alamein, a village about 2½ miles north of Andover in the north of Hampshire, has locals scratching their heads. No-one has owned up to erecting it.

The dummy camera was situated on the 30mph northbound carriageway of the A343 on a stretch of road normally policed by a mobile camera. It would have looked convincingly real to many travelling at speed.

According to a response to a Freedom of Information request to Hampshire Police, 328 drivers were caught speeding through the village between 2013 and 2015. A more important figure perhaps would be the accident statistics, but they were not reported.

A spokeswoman for the local Parish Council said: "Speeding is a big issue here. That's probably why the person put the camera up. Unfortunately we are subject to large numbers of people who speed through our village. We are supported by the police who enforce whenever they can, but it is still a problem."

She added: "The parish council agreed last week to purchase a speed indicator which will be installed at the north end of the village. We are also hoping to get permission to move it to the south end of the village so we can use it in different locations."

It appears that the fake camera, which has now been removed, was having more of an effect than the local mobile camera; one local commented on Facebook: "I live right by this speed camera and the positive effect it has had is unbelievable. The amount of people who have nearly hit me whilst I'm trying to reverse out of my drive is ridiculous. Since the camera has been put up you can literally hear how much slower people are travelling through the village as opposed to hearing the vehicles screeching through."

Of course if no proper signage was in place, some drivers who saw it at the last minute may have suddenly slammed on their brakes to avoid "detection". The fake camera may ironically therefore have made the road more prone to accidents.

Do you agree?

Source
email icon

exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The amount of people who have nearly hit me whilst I'm trying to reverse out of my drive is ridiculous.

Well don't reverse out in the the traffic then reverse in ! The at least you will be able to see who coming down the road.

That aside, speeding through villages is a problem but the more low speed limits are rolled out over the rural landscape the more likely people are to ignore them. The when it is important like in a village they have just pent the last 30 miles ignoring the limit why change now.[/quote]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
Quote:
The amount of people who have nearly hit me whilst I'm trying to reverse out of my drive is ridiculous.

Well don't reverse out in the the traffic then reverse in ! The at least you will be able to see who coming down the road.

Reversing out is against the highway code so well said Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus several. People who reverse out of their drives are looking for a disaster.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
terryindorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Plus several. People who reverse out of their drives are looking for a disaster.

Why do you petrol heads always ignore the core problem of excessive speed?
The disaster is not the reversing but the excessive speed that poor person has to cope with from speeding passing traffic.

The modern curse is too many drivers assuming speed limits don't apply to them. I've stuck too many people back together to know that speeds really does kill..............

Driving at 30 mph is just as easy as doing 60.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooh. So going slowly is OK as is reversing onto a busy road is it? Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryindorset wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Why do you petrol heads always ignore the core problem of excessive speed?

Towards the top of this page is a Search button, click it and enter the search term "speed" and author as DennisN. It'll give you over 1500 references and I'll give you £1,000 if you can bring up just one which substantiates you calling me a petrol head. You can give me £1 for every post in which I've inferred that speeding is naughty. Meanwhile I shall take a screen shot of this and mount it above my mantelpiece to prove I'm a proud petrol head.

After you've done that, take a quick glance at Highway Code rule 201

terryindorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Ooooooh. So going slowly is OK as is reversing onto a busy road is it? Shocked

Now TOM, I'm here to discuss the need for fake speed cameras & hopefully the appreciation of speeding, not define sobriquets or bandy words with you.

As for reversing into a drive, when I stop & reverse into my driveway approaching speeding cars hoot because they have to slow down, so that maneuver is frowned on by speeding prats/petrol-heads or 'Clarksons' as they are sometimes called.

Observing speed limits might be 'going slowly' but that is what the law requires.

I record traffic speeds in my village btw, & publish them on a website & the problem here is made public & cannot be ignored.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So someone hoots at you so you feel you should then ignore the highway code? Would love to see the result of that defence in court if you're prosecuted for causing an accident.

Just a word to the wise though. As a new comer to the forum perhaps have a look at the posts made by some of those you seem intent on antagonising. You really are shooting at the wrong horse.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule 201 says reverse in if you can. People tooting at you obviously qualifies as 'You can't", so driving in and reversing out in is OK. Supreme Angel
I wonder if Terry also hugs trees and protests against much needed bypasses.
terryindorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Rule 201 says reverse in if you can. People tooting at you obviously qualifies as 'You can't", so driving in and reversing out in is OK. Supreme Angel
I wonder if Terry also hugs trees and protests against much needed bypasses.

I protest at pillocks not observing speed limits. You selfish don't care speeders just endanger other people & I've seen too many on my intensive care ward & heard too many wailing relatives to just accept it.

Rational discussion is obviously not practised here so feel free to bitch among yourselves.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussamb probably delivered them to you and he is well known as holding the view that speeding should be illegal.

And as he says, newcomers would be well advised to have a look at the history of those they seek to shoot down.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rational discussion is absolutely fine, but when you tar every one here with the "selfish don't care speeders" and "petrol heads" brush without a shred of evidence to back up your thoughts, that's just not at all rational.

What could possibly lead you to suppose I am a " selfish don't care petrol headed speeder". I'm not.

Unless you deign to retract your holier than though inflammatory statements, just .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably took my advice and searched my posts and found the one where I called you a selfish don't care petrol headed speeder. Twisted Evil

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resemble that remark. Or should it be 'resent'? I always get those two words mixed up. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: