Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Community POIs on latest TomToms
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Community POIs on latest TomToms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Community POIs on latest TomToms Reply with quote

I just looked at a video on the TomTom website about using My Drive and it says you can import 'Community POIs' . The video says there are lots out there and providing they are in OV2 format they can be imported.

Does this mean if I purchased one of the devices that uses My Drive I would be able to import the PGPSW Camera database as well as other free POI databases in to the unit.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can import them but you can't set up warnings so not a lot of use for the cameras.
Samsung Galaxy S21
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
You can import them but you can't set up warnings so not a lot of use for the cameras.

Do we know how good the current TomTom camera database is.

My problem at the moment is that the with XL Live that I use for the PGPSW camera database I can now longer install all the zones I need for my holidays to Europe at the same time. I suppose I could buy a new TomTom unit so that I could have all zones for the holidays where cameras are not so much of a problem and use the XL Live in the camera infested UK.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal experience of TT's cameras, but the opinion of most contributors to this forum is that they leave a lot to be desired.

One of the last TomTom models to allow POI warnings was the Via 135. It has a microSD slot so presumably, if you get a large enough card, the Europe map could be loaded onto that, although I only use the UK map so you would need someone who uses a Europe map to confirm that.

Models with the 'M' suffix have free lifetime maps.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the TT cameras are not in the same league as the PGPSW ones.

I do thousands of miles a year, all over the UK. I have TT cameras (free) on a new GO6100 and CamerAlert on my iPhone 6S Plus.

The most recent glaring example I have was on the M6 north of the M6 Toll, where they have been installing "managed motorways" for what seems like years. The last time I went through, on 10th March, TomTom still was bleating about average speed 50mph cameras, but CamerAlert was correctly reporting the new Hadecs cameras. You could maybe forgive inaccuracies on side roads, but a major route like the M6 is intolerable.

One thing TT claim is directional, but they aren't. A couple of my local fixed ones always bleep for both directions.

And of course, they just offer a beep or a bong or a ding, whereas CamerAlert tells me the speed limit of every camera.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on here in a while now ..But recently was forced to upgrade my beautiful 750 for the 5100 ...While it has great features it definitely 10 steps back in functionality ...... So sad
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the cameras being directional on the TT they are on my 6100 if the camera can operate in both directions. Several cameras near where I live get changed quite often and then the TT it will give the warning for both ways because it cannot tell which way it will be facing at the time.

I currently have the PGPSW database on a TT XL Live and the TT database on the 6100 and have then both in the car at the moment. The PGPSW database gives a warning for both directions in the same circumstances as well as a warning for the 'other' side of the road if I have not set a route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: